Thread: Fishbite at idle

Default Fishbite at idle

I test drove a 2005 2500 HD today with the Duramax engine. It has a tuner installed and some other upgrades. I don't know what the tuner is, it does not plug into the OBD II port. It has a 5 position rotary switch to select power level that's located underneath the steering column. The truck after it warms up Has a fishbite Miss occasionally at idle in gear only. The guy selling it is the original owner and said the injectors have never been touched or the harness. The check engine light is not on. He's going to take it to the shop that install the tuner years ago and have them see what they think. Any ideas? I gave him some money to hold it for me it is a nice truck.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

My first thought would be a short in one of the injector wires, but IIRC that'd throw a code. Can you put a code reader on there and see if it comes up with anything even though the light isn't on?

The seller agreed to take it back to Southern Performance Diesel which is where tuner and a lot of other upgrades such as exhaust and air intake were added.it also has an Air Dog? Lift pump with dual filters in the framerail. I wish I knew what tuner it has so I could read up on it. He said he has the paperwork for it. I couldn't find where it is located on the truck.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

My best suggestion is to try to find a truck that has been unmolested so that you can make smart choices of quality upgrades and not worry about abuse in it's former life.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    My best suggestion is to try to find a truck that has been unmolested so that you can make smart choices of quality upgrades and not worry about abuse in it's former life.
    upvote...

The fuel pressure regulator is bad on the truck. I got more info on the truck from the owner of the shop where the work was done. It is a very reputable shop in this area. The tune is a 5 level done with EFI Live. The intake is S & B, the exhaust is 4 inch. Normally I wouldnt consider a truck that someone else did a bunch of tuning to, but this is a 1 owner, Florida truck that was used by the owner of a fencing business. There isnt a scratch inside the bed, and no holes from a hitch either. He towed his boat with it occasionally. It has 225k on it, and he said it still has original brake pads. I dont care about the brakes, but it tells me he did mostly highway driving. The shop is super busy, so it will be next week before they get the fuel pressure regulator changed. Im waiting to see how it does after that. I prefer for sale by owner because I can get a feel for what the previous owner was like. At least it isnt an 18 year old who liked drag racing and blowing big clouds of black smoke just because. I see that a lot in central Florida.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k

how much $$$?

I thought I had put price in the first post. He is asking 13500. That seems like a good price based on the others I have looked at. The miles are a higher than I'd like, but for the use the truck has seen, im ok with it.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k

Wow.
    I paid $17k for mine with 125k miles on it, about 6 years ago. Replaced the head gaskets and water pump a year or two in and aside from some steering components and cv axles and hubs it has been a very reliable truck. Got 230K on it now. Fun to think I could sell it for only a few thou less than I paid for it!

I have been looking off and on for a while now. From what I've seen, you got a real good deal on yours 6 years ago ! Most I find are in th 18 to 20 range. Seems like a lot for a 12 year old truck, but that's where they are. I do try to find Florida trucks too. Maybe they are more here.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
    Wow.
    I paid $17k for mine with 125k miles on it, about 6 years ago. Replaced the head gaskets and water pump a year or two in and aside from some steering components and cv axles and hubs it has been a very reliable truck. Got 230K on it now. Fun to think I could sell it for only a few thou less than I paid for it!
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k

Default Advise

Take kennedys advise and find an unmolested truck, you will be money ahead.
    Trust me.
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.