Thread: Allison Smarter than Me

OK guys I give up. My Allison is smarter than me. My torque converter has only twice gone into lockup all winter even when the trans temp is at operating temp. (150deg) and Duramax running (190deg). The only time lock up has come on is when the outside temp has been unusually high-65deg or better. What controls this thing going into lock-up trans operating temp or outside temp? Or is there just something wrong with the trans? The difference in RPM's at 65 is 2200 with no lock up and 1900 with lock up-pretty substantial.
    Any feedback would be appreciated before I've got to make a trip to the stealer, Ooops, I mean dealer.
    2003 2500HD Chev 4X4 Ext Cab S/B<br />Duramax/Allison<br />Westin Platinum Chrome Nerfs, Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau, Delvac1, Westin Chrome Bull Bar, Rhino Chrome Rear Step, Lund Interceptor bug Deflector, Fumoto Valve, Weathertech deflectors

I do not think it will lock up at -65deg. Where do you live??
    John - 2002 GMC 2500 SLE D/A CC LB 2WD, linex, 16K Husky, Timbrens, Jordon, 2003 Golden Falcon 29RLDS

I believe engine temperature controls lock up.Yours should be locking up,which it is not.
    2002 GMC D/A ext. cab,built 01-02

should be locking up.. how do you know its not? Sometimes it is subtle, but goes in, not insulting your intelegence
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Sorry I meant to write over 65 degrees. DmaxalliTech. I don't think its locking up because when I run 65mph its at 2200 rmps normally unless the weather is over 65 degrees then it runs at 1900 rpms. Thats with no load on the same stretch of highway I always run at normal operating temps. The fuel's not the issue because it has happened both ways on the same tank.
    Thanks
    2003 2500HD Chev 4X4 Ext Cab S/B<br />Duramax/Allison<br />Westin Platinum Chrome Nerfs, Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau, Delvac1, Westin Chrome Bull Bar, Rhino Chrome Rear Step, Lund Interceptor bug Deflector, Fumoto Valve, Weathertech deflectors

Idle_Chatter Guest

Since I don't have my Edge pyrometer installed yet, one of the monitored prameters on my Attitude is "Gear." It shows the gear number and will also pop up a little lock icon when the torque converter locks. I have a 10 mile commute to and from work and it typically takes 8 miles or so before my tranny will lock in 5th gear. Looks like my engine temperature is up, but the tranny temp is low long after the thermostats open - so I suspect it's a combination of the two temperatures.

[ 03-12-2004, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Idle_Chatter ]