Thread: Modified Programming and performance equipment under close scrutiny...

Arrow Modified Programming and performance equipment under close scrutiny...

GM recently issued a new service bulletin to all its dealerships outlining what their service departments need to do to counter their warranty exposure due to modified programming and performance equipment. We've suspected for quite some time that GM was able to detect modifications, and now we know they are educating their service techs in ways to do just that. Here's a quote from a new article that discusses it.

GM blames after-market software for Duramax problems

In a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 08-06-04-006J), General Motors sent updated information to dealership service departments on identifying non-GM engine control module (ECM) calibrations. The TSB also extends the procedures to cover any Duramax-equipped vehicles built for model year 2013.
    Read more: http://www.torquenews.com/1080/gm-bl...ramax-problems

Good argument for ECM swaps
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I was under the impression they were already doing this or at least capable.

Pretty sure I've seen TSB's about warranty work and verifying the program in the ECM....

I also recall that they can log the difference in time the ECM has on it and the other modules in the truck (BCM, ABS, airbag, etc) so an ECM swap may not be the final solution either. Don't quote me on that though....

It doesn't surprise me really. What with everyone feeling the pinch and the OEM's looking for money everywhere they can it's only natural they try to limit their liability. I didn't say it's right or fair, but neither is whacking another 75-150 HP into their original design and crying foul when it departs the fix....

Guess the bottom line is they can find out one way or another if the vehicle has been altered if they want to dig deep enough. Also depends on how far the dealer tech wants to dig or just "fudge" the papers and get on with the warranty wrenchin' and his next paycheck.

It all makes me kind of glad my old hack is well out of warranty and mine to do with as I please.......
    Last edited by greatwhite; 08-28-2012 at 15:33.
    1998 k2500