Thread: Injection Pump / Timing Chain brand preference

Default Injection Pump / Timing Chain brand preference

OK - after much input and advice from everyone - it looks like I have an IP going out. I will likely be replacing it and the timing chain at the same time. Chain has 300K+ on it so this is a peace of mind issue for me as well.

Big question is where to get the IP and what brand chain set. I've used a new GM pump prior and the one in there currently is a reman I got from Heath. I see that Delco sells a reman pump but also have others available through Napa (Echlin reman with 3 yr/36K warranty which is attractive) Advance and Autozone sell the A-1 Cardone brand. I've read some good info about Dtech and my local diesel shop sells these. Thoughts?

On the timing chain set - any big difference than anyone has seen with Cloyes vs. Sealed Power vs. Perfect Circle or others?

Thanks!

Brad
    96 K2500 Suburban /300+K miles /Relocated PMD /Turbo-Master /4" Exhaust (LOVE IT!) /Amsoil in Engine and trans with Amsoil remote bypass filter / Max-E-Tork ECU / Kennedy Fan upgrade / Bilsteins

With 300,000 on the recip assembly, I'd probably go with a reman also.

How much on the rebuilt you sourced through Heath? Any warranty left on it.

With a lower mileage 6.x, I probably would have gotten the newer updated stanadyne with the neato ceramic bits in it. You may want to go that way if you intend to keep the truck past another rebuild, but it won't be cheap. You'de have to contact one of their "authorized dealers" to know.

Timing chains?

Pretty much any mainstream brand should be good. I hear goods things about cloyes bits but can't offer any personal experiences there.

I'm running whatever GEP put into the long block when they built it...
    1998 k2500