Thread: Adding cruise control to an 05 LLY

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Default Adding cruise control to an 05 LLY

Hey,

Been a Diesel enthusiast for years, owned a bunch of 6.2's and a couple of 6.5's. Just recently picked up this Base model 05 CC 2500HD with a long bed, and A/C and 4x4 being the only options.

My last truck was a 99 Base model Suburban with a 6.5L that had power locks, 4x4 and that was it. My right knee isn't so good and holding a throttle for extended periods is hard for me. I live in Alaska so there's lots of driving to go and do our favorite hobbies and such. In the 99 I found a turn signal stalk with the cruise control switches and when I installed it, I found the wiring needed to plug into the stalk taped to the steering column.

Before I bought this 05, I had read on another site which will remain nameless, that folks had done the same thing with Duramax trucks that didn't come from the factory with cruise. So I ordered a new stalk, and went to install it this morning. Much to my dismay, I saw no wiring bundle taped to the column that looked like what I needed and even dug around a bit down there and didn't see what was needed.

I know that cruise should be easy to add, just got to know where to run the wires I would think.

Anybody have any hints to where the wires go or know where I might find the missing connector?
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Arrow

I'm not aware of any unique wire harness for the base model trucks, so the connector should be there. The only suggestion I have is to keep looking, and have no idea where they may have stuffed it. You may also check the PCM connector for the correct pins, and verify they are occupied (if not, then "occupy" them). If/when you do find it and get it connected, the PCM may need a massage to enable cruise. Any Tech II or compatible scanner should be able to handle that.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

There should be a fairly large rectangular electrical connector down near the fire wall along the left side the steering column and above the brake pedal arm. This is connector #C201. Your truck will have this.

All of the steering column electrical controls, such as mult-function lever (wipers, turn signals, cruise control), horn, ignition, airbags, Tow/Haul button and more all plug into and all pass through this connector.

On C201:
    A12 gray wire - Cruise control ON.
    A14 dark blu wire - Cruise control set/coast
    A15 gray/black wire - Cruise control resume/accel

The multi-function lever and ignition switch are produced and sold with their related wiring and connectors pre-assembled. The assembled wiring/C201 connector are not available from GM separately. At least they weren't the last I checked.

What I think? You could either wire in a separate switch set to do the cruise functions (a rocker for the on/off and momentary switches for set/resume/accel/coast), or buy a complete replacement assembly that contains a new steering column harness, multifunction lever and ignition switch etc for an up-level model - then you'd need to strip the column to R&R the parts. Jim

Well, I have the new stalk with wires from the factory buttons on it.

I'm just missing the wiring from C201 to the 4 wire connector that goes to those buttons.

I just found a thread in the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain section that talked about having to splice the Pink A2 wire, then cutting the following wires from C201 and soldering them to the wires on my new stalk. B32, B1, and B10.

I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow evening and see if that works.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!

Success!

So I put the new stalk/switch assembly in I purchased from Rockauto.com

I cut the following wires from C201 and connected them to my new stalk. B32, B1, and B10.

I then peeled back a 1/2" piece of insulation on A4 and connected the pink wire from my new stalk to it.

Works great!

Thanks for the tips folks!

Default Controler?

To add the cruise cotrol dont you have to add the cruise control control box also with the new stick? Do you also have the icon come up on the dash when its on?

GM Light Duty Diesels have been fly by wire (Electronic throttle, no cable needed) since 95/96 (Forget which one), so you need only the cruise switches linked to your PCM and the PCM will take care of the rest.

The little cruise on lamp works fine.

Default Cruise control

Alright guys 04 lly and I'm trying to put cruise control on it and it doesn't not have it, I already have the switch with it but I need help with the wiring anyone know how?