Thread: Coolant leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Coolant leak

Hi
    I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with a Duramax.(255,000 kms) In the past 10 months or so I have developed a mysterious coolant leak that has gotten slowly worse. I am guessing it is internal( head gasket or injector sleeves) but am wondering about symptoms. I am not getting any noticeable white smoke or bubbles in the cooling sytem. The injectors were changed 2 years/ 70,000 kms ago by a dealer with not much duramax experience. The system seems to be holding pressure fairly well as I can go back an hour after shutting it off and still have lots of pressure when I take the cap off. ANy suggestions? Thanks

Most likely head gaskets. 2001 production year is known for this failure - gaskets were improved and updated in subsequent years.

Search elsewhere on the forums '2001 head gasket' and you'll see the trendline.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I agree with MR. I went through what you're going through. If the pressure is high (hard upper hose) after an hour. Pressureized system when you take the cap off, bubbles in the tank (hold a flashlite to it) and you'll see them. YOU HAVE A HEAD GASKET LEAK. Been there done that. I ended up changing my engine. I have an 2001, love it and will keep changing engines out if I have to until I die or wreck it. Love that truck. it still runs like new, looks like new and when I tell people its an 01 they can't believe it (Its still shiny and pretty). But yea, you're getting a small head gasket leak. I use to put a plastic bottle by the overflow tank to catch the anti freeze and pore it back in the engine every morning. Good luck with it.

I had a similar problem, ended up being the oil cooler gasket.

Arrow

Under normal circumstances cooling system pressure should be practically nill when the truck sits for 12 hours or more. If there's a whoosh when you loosen the coolant surge tank cap, there's more pressure being generated than normal. Even though these caps are vented to limit cooling system pressures to 15-psi, chronic overpressure usually results in water pump seal failure. Now, you've got two problems....

Jim

That's what my 02 gmc was doing. I replaced my water pump first and had coolant blowing out for a year. I took the plunge and replaced the head gaskets in february. No problems since then.
    Jeff