Thread: dmax radiator in old body style...will it work?

Question dmax radiator in old body style...will it work?

I just read MP's power project update and wondered if the new style radiator would work on the 6.5? Has anybody attempted it?

I havent looked at how they'd match up coolant lines and so forth but wondered if the swap would enhance cooling efficiency on a stock motor?
    2003 GMC Sierra K2500 D/A CC sb<br />1995 Chevrolet Silverado K2500,6.5TD sb,xcab <a href=\"http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/swartos.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/swartos.htm</a> <br />1999 Bonneville SSEI<br />1972 Mustang Convertible 351C

It may be more efficent but a custom radiator will do the same. It will not solve any problems though, unless your current radiator is bad. Tha radiator in these trucks is very large as it is.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Arrow

The new Duramax radiator is nearly a drop-in fit. The core dimensions are the same as a 6.5 rad, but the plastic end tanks are a little different.

The drain valve located on lower right-hand side of the radiator bumps out a bit, which interferes with the core support. I needed to use a cut-off wheel on the core support to make room. I also needed to remove the plastic mounting flanges on the Duramax radiator end-tanks. Not a big deal...

I don't think there would be any cooling advantage over the aluminum 6.5 radiator produced since 1994. I installed the Duramax radiator to allow using the larger ATF cooling line fittings and more efficient in-rad ATF cooler - for the Allison.

MP
    Last edited by More Power; 06-06-2007 at 13:53.

CareyWeber Guest

Will you retain the AC, Trany Cooler, and the Engine Oil Cooler?

Carey
    Last edited by More Power; 06-06-2007 at 13:54.

MTTwister Guest

MP-
    I'll be getting a Dodge Cummins intercooler before long. I'll show everyone how to install it in the C/K.

That'd be cool looking forward to it. ( oh, and hope it's 'cheap'!)

Arrow

I will be installing A/C, and I'll show you how to do it (details remain to be worked out). Auxiliary oil/ATF coolers can be used, but probably not the factory coolers unless relocated somewhere other than behind the grille. The thinner aftermarket coolers should fit in the remaining available space.

There's a member here in Montana who installed a Cummins 5.9 in his 1995 K3500. The shop that did the work for him also installed a DC intercooler, and maintained the A/C and various coolers. Unfortunately, he lives about 450 miles away, so details are hard to come by. All I know is that fit after modification is possible. I have a pretty good idea how to do it.

MP

MP, Does the Cummins run a grill mounted oil cooler or does it use an internal cooler? I have a remote mount oil cooler with a fan I wanted to install under the bed along with one for the trans to make room for an intercooler, what are your thoughts on this?
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live