ok, so i think i'm a little obsessed with the old Detroits, but i just love the sound they make. Now i've been thinking for a while that i would like to have an old 2-stroke in a pickup truck but i'm not really sure which to use and even if i decide i will need some help on picking a transmission and transfer case combo.

so the contenders as of now are a 3-53, 4-53, 6v-53, or a 4-71

3-53 seems a little underpowered for my likings, but very economical and still has the great sound.
4-53 seems little better but i just have to watch the weight of the whole thing. these aren't exactly meant for pickup trucks.
6v-53 is supposed to have a fair amount of power and a bit higher reving
4-71.......well i was told the 71 series was the best engines detroit ever made

right now i'm leaning towards the 4-71 because i have found an aluminum bare block (no crank or head or any other parts) which works quite well since i would have rebuilt the whole thing anyways. The aluminum block will save me lots of weight, as its apparently only about 175 lbs according to the seller.

now i'm just wondering if anyone else has any input here, or if i should ditch the aluminum block for some cast iron, or else a different series engine altogether. don't even mention cummins because they could never make me as happy as an old detroit could.

if your curious about what i'm putting it in, i'm thinking about a 1969-1972 body style, 3/4 ton 4x4 gmc. of course i would start with this engine and build the truck from the groung up i think. if i'm going to do it i might as well do it right.