Thread: Thinking of Duramax swapp, need dimensions

Default Thinking of Duramax swapp, need dimensions

I saw a picture in Diesel Power, I think, of a Duramax-powered late 70s-early 80s Camaro. It got me to thinking of getting one of those replacement '68-69 Camaro bodies from Year One, and putting a turbodiesel in it. The 5.9L Cummins could barely squeeze in, but I'm also thinking of using a Duramax. The hard part is trying to find the dimensions of the engine block (length/width/height) of the 6.2L and 6.6L models. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cool A diesel camero, how cool would that be!?

woulnt that be a lot of weight for a sub frame car? if you make it happen sure would like to see it!

Arrow

You may need to modify the firewall to provide additional turbo downpipe clearance and you'll need a cowl induction or pro-mod hood to clear all the stuff on top of the engine. Otherwise, the footprint for the Duramax longblock isn't all that much larger than that of a 454.

The real estate under the hood will be pretty well used up, though, once all the ancillary components have been installed (coolant surge tank, batteries, electrical center, ECM/TCM, A/C, intercooler plumbing, etc).

Like was what mentioned earlier, you'll need to reinforce the subframe, using perhaps race connectors that tie the front and rear together. An airbag system would work to support the added weight (a dressed Duramax weighs approx 835-lbs), though the life of the Camaro ball joints and A-arm bushings could be somewhat shorter because of the added weight. Cool project though....

Jim

The CAMARO may be a bit tight without a serious cowl induction hood. Heres a GRAND NATIONAL replica with a DURAMAX in it backed up by a 4L80E(the ALLISON was too tall to fit in it).

http://www.18to1.com/
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

There's another Duramax engine swap project in the February 2010 edition of the Car Craft magazine (page 64 and 65). A shop in Springfield MO is putting an '06 Duramax in a Nova Station Wagon. Excellent coverage with good pictures. When completed, that machine will definitely turns some heads!!
    2009 GMC Sierra, 2500HD, Crew Cab, 4WD, D-MAX
    2009 Chevy Malibu LT, V6
    2005 Jayco 323RKS, 3600W Onan Generator