Thread: 318 LA motor to cummins

Default 318 LA motor to cummins

Alright well this is my first time on any forum and I'm hoping to get some good info. I have a 1985 Dodge Power Ram 4X4 3/4 ton. It has a 318 in it currently. I know I'm going against the grain here but I would really like to do a complete frame off resto on it and put a cummins motor in it. How difficult would this be for one, and does anybody know if its possible or do I need to register it as a diesel? Also I know it would be way cheaper to do it myself but at the same time I would almost prefer the ease of taking it to a shop to just make sure it gets done right, are there any good shops in the Arizona, New Mexico, or west Texas region? Thanks for taking a looking. Any info given will really help.

Arrow

Welcome to The Diesel Page!

Last June, I photographed a 1985 Dodge W250 that the owner had assembled from a few different trucks. This was a 1985 (mostly) Dodge Custom Crew Cab Long Box 4x4, equipped with a 1993 Dodge 5.9L 12-valve Cummins and rolling on a 1993 chassis and drivetrain components. Dodge never produced a longbox crew, so it was certainly unique. It was a multi-colored work in progress when I saw it. I'm hoping it's finished this year and I get to shoot some photos of it while at USDP's annual dyno day.

You will need to update the "fuel type" on the vehicle registration once it's on the road with a diesel engine. You shouldn't have a problem from a vehicle emissions regulations position unless it is tuned to smoke obnoxiously and draws LEO attention because of that.

I don't know about the region of the country you're referring to, but there's a shop here in Montana that does conversions. There are probably others.

Jim