Thread: 02-07 6.2 diesel swap

Default 02-07 6.2 diesel swap

Hey, I've been thinking about starting a project that i had a dream about a couple months ago, and figured this would probably be the best place to go for informatuon about it. I want to pick up a 2002 - 2007 chevy or gmc 1500 regular cab short box, 2 or 4 wheel drive, manual or automatic, and drop a 6.2 diesel into it. I know these trucks are pretty much computers on wheels and the 6.2 has very little electrical, but i was wondering how feasable this would be. Thanks for any advice on the topic

Hi
    Getting a manual would make it a lot easyer.
    I know nothing about the computer systems in those trucks,getting the speedo,heater,radio,ect to work may be a hassle.
    But your right the 6.2 is simple.
    Others will chime in with more info.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

If the auto was a 700R4 or Turbo 400 from the 6.2 vintage, that would be as easy as the manual. Trying to get a 6.2 to work with a more modern 4L60/80/85E models....not so fun.

Wouldn't be very gutsy, but could do pretty good mpg wise and of course it's a diesel, so it's cool.

If you have emissions in your area, you may find it to be a bad idea. I know up here a few years ago, you could convert a gas to diesel however the motor had to be of the same vintage or newer than the truck it was going in. We no longer have emissions tests and such, so no problem any more, but check local laws prior to getting too excited.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

As far as I'm aware, there is no emissions testing or anything close here, but I would definitely check to be sure.

I'm not too concerned about making tons of power with it, just basically a nice show quality truck that gets great mileage and is different than what everyone else is doing.

I kinda like the look of Project Novakane, and might go with something along those lines for looks.
    1986 GMC Wrangler regular cab long box 6.2L 700r4 air tilt cruise, summer daily driver, waiting for time and money for full resto

1997 GMC Sierra SLT extended cab short box, 6.5L 4L80E 4x4 nearly full load, slight lift, engine needs rebuild