Thread: 2000 chevy to 2001 Cummins 24v

Default 2000 chevy to 2001 Cummins 24v

looking for a little more help/info on this conversion I have a 2000 Chevy 4 door 1ton and just happen to have a 01 Cummins with 86,000 miles any help with mounts and what I'm looking at with wiring harness thanks for looking and any info

Is this a 2 wheel drive truck or 4x4? Are you planning to swap in the Dodge tranny as well?
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

it is 4x4 and the transmission im not sure yet the truck is a automatic but I also have a 5 speed from a 93 1ton 4x4chevy

To do the conversion, you'll need mounts and a crossmember. You can either make this yourself (if you're a good welder) or buy them already made such as from the following site.
    http://www.gmcumminsconversions.com/

The Cummins 6BT is a little tall to fit under the hood and clear the transfer case. The easiest way to get more room is a body lift or a hood scoop. If you want to leave the truck stock height, some grinding on the transfer case is needed to gain clearance.

If you use the transmission that's in the 2000 Chevy, you'll need an adapter and a controller to get it to shift. The 5 speed from the 93 Chevy is probably a NV4500 and will also require an adapter. A well known source for transmission adapters is www.advanceadapters.com

I can't help you much on the wiring. If it were me, I would probably get rid of all the electronics on that Cummins by installing a P7100 pump on it.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

If you decide to use the NV4500 check with drivetrain.com in Las Vegas. They now the transmission and can probably supply any adaptors or conversion parts needed.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

ok sweet thank you for the help ill look into the web sites and see what I can find

Here's another source for parts for the conversion.
    http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cu...bt_adapter.htm

If you do go with a manual, you'll need to make a clutch pedal support and bracket.

Arrow

If you live in an area that requires diesel emissions certification - either periodic or when registering the vehicle, you will need to maintain the emissions control systems for that model year. Most states don't really care, but there are a few that require anal exams when repowering with a non-stock engine. Might be worth a check if you're not sure.