Thread: Step-by-step 6.2 conversion:

Default Step-by-step 6.2 conversion:

Can anyone provide a step-by-step process of converting to a 6.2 (or 6.5) engine from gas?

Or can you refer me to a list somewhere in these pages or elsewhere on the net?

a) to make it simple, let's say it is going into a 83 1/2 gm pickup.

b) In a gm van or other gm rear drive vehicle that was originally available with a small block chevy.

c) Any other vehicle.

I'm not nessesarily talking about actually physically putting the 6.2 in place of a small block. i'm mostly concerned about all the ancillary and nessesary bits----glow plugs, hydro brake booster etc.

I'm not sure that you're going to get a step-by-step guide as each swap is going to have its differences. Here are some good starting points, though:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/swap.htm
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Best way to do it would be to find a donor truck in a similar year to the convertee, park them side by side and then start swapping what you need.

a 198x era truck would be easy though, no electronics to worry about.

Just mechanical work.

We've had the following forum thread available in this forum for several years that discusses the highpoints of just such a conversion. It'll be enough to get you started, and you can ask any remaining questions here in your thread as you work your way through it. It's not that bad.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27827

Jim