Thread: 1984 C10 2wd SBC to 6.5TD

Default 1984 C10 2wd SBC to 6.5TD

Hey guys, I have a small fab shop here in NJ and I do a lot of LS and SBC swaps usually but I currently have a customer here that I talked into doing a 6.5TD swap I saw this 2000 Express Van come up for auction with only 98k miles, hit in the drivers front with frame damage. No were no real bidders on it so I got it for a steal.

It was a plumbers trucks so it looks to have been serviced often. The IP has been replaced as well as the PCM. 4L80E has some writing on it, either rebuilt or possibly just a service. It had been sitting for 15months in the insurance yard, I threw in some diesel treatment and changed the batteries, took a bit of cranking but it started up finally and ran well.

Here I am taking the engine out. Not really that bad of a job, with a 2 post lift. I don't know how you'd get it out otherwise, most likely with a sawzall bc it sure aint coming out from the front.

'99 Suburban 6.5TD
    Facebook.com/AfterhoursFabrication

Here's the old 305 engine. 4 cylinders are dead and the left bank is shooting antifreeze out of the spark plug holes.

'99 Suburban 6.5TD

6.5TD mocked up. The motor mounts actually line right up with the stock small block mounts but the engine sits too low in the frame, In this pic I just have it sitting on 2x4s. Slight trimming needed at the firewall lol I would have preferred the truck manifolds for this project but you work with what you got ;D

'99 Suburban 6.5TD

Let me know if the pics are working, I'm trying to find a new place to host them. I'd attach them to the thread but there wont be enough room for them all.

I just started the swap Labor Day weekend and its a back burner project so don't expect quick progress but when it happens, I'll post it here.
    '99 Suburban 6.5TD

Pics are working fine.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Cool, thanks.
    '99 Suburban 6.5TD

Arrow

Thank you for the contribution! Your pic's are working. You, as a member here, also have a Photo Album available. Contact me if you need help with it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Thank you for the contribution! Your pic's are working. You, as a member here, also have a Photo Album available. Contact me if you need help with it.
    Thanks, I may end up doing that at some point.

I mocked up the oil filler neck the other day so I could close the hood on the truck. Will probably cut it again and re-index the bend so it comes straight out, its at a bit of an angle from the factory and comes close to my fuel pressure port. I also have to reattach the mounting bracket that was broken off.

'99 Suburban 6.5TD

Cleaned up the wiring harnesses today. The middle one is the underdash/body harness, the right one is the underhood/power distribution, and the rats nest on the left is everything I took out (so far). All unnecessary things like ABS, airbags, DRL, HVAC, ect.

'99 Suburban 6.5TD