Thread: Coolant Change Procedure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Coolant Change Procedure

It's time for a coolant change on my '02 and I'd like to do it myself but I don't know the procedure to use. The first hurdle is how to drain the old coolant, and then to put in the new. I would appreciate any words of wisdom on how to do this. Apparently there was some info here on this 3-4 years ago but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

Thanks
    2002 2wd 2500 EC/LB, Attitude/Juice, Allied 4" Exhaust, 265/75R16 LRE Pirellis, Bilsteins, Timbrens, 34' Automate 5th Wheel RV Trailer

NutNbutGMC Guest

Found this, although not much to go on.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...hlight=coolant

The Helms service manual has a full detailed procedure.

I'm not sure which forum I read this on, but one poster suggested that the easiest way to flush the system was to knock out the freeze plugs on the engine block, flush, reinstall new freeze plugs and refill with fresh antifreeze. I'm not sure how difficult the freeze plugs are to reach, but they must be accessible with the fender well liners removed. Someone else may be able to comment on this procedure. I haven't tried it myself, but it does seem feasible.
    08 Chev 2500HD LT CCSB D/A 4X4

Arrow

The block has threaded drain plugs at the bottom of the block. Do not knock out any freeze plugs.

Flushing the Duramax is nothing special, compared to any other engine. Open all the drains and collect the waste. Replace the plugs and fill with distilled water and flush (run up to operating temp a couple times). Drain again and repeat. Once it has been flushed to your satisfaction (all will be different, as with all engines), secure the drains and fill with 50/50 coolant and distilled water (or use premix). Bleed according to the procedure in the manual. Please note: Using flushing solvents or non-distilled water will have long term negative effects. At the least, ELC will not be as effective as long, and coolant system component life may be greatly reduced. The cooling system should only be flushed with fresh distilled water.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Coolant Change Procedure

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I think I'll try to do it myself.

I am interested as to why to use distilled water for flushing and diluting. Not to challenge the wisdom of those who have much more knowledge than I do, but my Duramax (owners) manual says just to use "clean, drinkable water".
    2002 2wd 2500 EC/LB, Attitude/Juice, Allied 4" Exhaust, 265/75R16 LRE Pirellis, Bilsteins, Timbrens, 34' Automate 5th Wheel RV Trailer

Arrow

All water, but distilled, contains minerals, salts, and possibly chemicals. Not good in the long run in a system made up of various metals. Minerals also promote outgassing (cavitation) and surface tension (slows heat transfer) of the fluid.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com