Thread: Ball joint failed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    In looking through my 2001 GM service manuals I noticed that it does not include ball joint replacement info for the upper control arms, though it does contain R&R info for the control arms and ball joint replacement info for the lower ball joints.

Does this mean the ball joints used on the upper control arms are not replaceable?
    I think GM engineers, in their grand wisdom (?), anticipated the bushings and ball joints to wear about evenly (or the failure of one to necessitate the replacement of the other), so no real need to replace them independently. Both parts are replaceable, as we know, and the control arms almost always survive the bushing/joint wear. I've replaced both successfully, for years, without the aid of GM's repair manual advice or recommendation. GM shops and most shops that service suspension will not replace the joints, or bushings, with the only option being control arm replacement. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I think GM engineers, in their grand wisdom (?), anticipated the bushings and ball joints to wear about evenly (or the failure of one to necessitate the replacement of the other), so no real need to replace them independently. Both parts are replaceable, as we know, and the control arms almost always survive the bushing/joint wear. I've replaced both successfully, for years, without the aid of GM's repair manual advice or recommendation. GM shops and most shops that service suspension will not replace the joints, or bushings, with the only option being control arm replacement. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.
    Yah, not sure what happened in my case. Faulty install (more than possible... first time I've done it). I *think* there may have already been one replacement in that control arm or even 2-3... Who knows...

I do know the passenger side was the 3rd one I did and I'd gotten allot better at it by that point. And it still looks solid. I guess I'll just watch it and see what happens.
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs