Thread: Duramax Engine Oil Cooler

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't know about synthetic. Of course they can tolerate higher temps but that doesn't mean its ok for the engine to be hotter see below.

For dino oil the higher the temp the shorter the life expectancy and it varies depending on where you read.

For avg oil pan....
    Some like no more than 180~190F which is what I have kind of settled on as its close to coolant temperature and thus is helping cool the engine more. Others say higher is ok. I'll say above 220F is getting hot and shortens life some. The hotter it gets it gets exponential. Say at 260F it should be changed at maybe 1/2 maintenance schedule time.

Of course its engine dependant oil sump size and some other little things but
    Kubota says 240F continuous is max and intermittent max is 266F for avg oil temp measured in middle of sump. If above it indicates engine is overloaded. As in probable the piston is really hot from high EGT and heating the oil up.
    Last edited by Hubert; 10-21-2008 at 10:09. Reason: add info and correct spelling forgive the grammer and others I missed.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.