Thread: 2wd lift questions

Default 2wd lift questions

The truck is a 1991 3/4 ton crew cab 2wd (last of the square body )
    I have the rear figured out
    But whats the best way to get a 2-3 in lift on the front iv'e heard of the lift spindles and componets from a newer truck but not sure what all i need if any body knows or has experance please help clear it up for me

Arrow

Aftermarket springs (preferred), or have your's re-arced (cheaper). Not an unusual upgrade, at all. The aftermarket springs will have more spring leafs, lesser chance of premature sagging, and will usually ride smoother with better control.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Don't the 2wds from that era have coil springs in the front?

Not sure if spacers would be available, and/or longer springs? It would seem spacers should be out there (what are typically used in 'leveling kits'), although I think they are usually only an inch or so thick.

Joe.
    2006 Chevy K2500 LLY Duramax/Allison Crew Cab!
    1996 Chevy C2500 6.5 auto Ext. Cab LB

I have seen the spacers and the taller springs but have also heard of using 88-98 lift spindle but i dont know what i also need to do

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Don't the 2wds from that era have coil springs in the front?

Not sure if spacers would be available, and/or longer springs? It would seem spacers should be out there (what are typically used in 'leveling kits'), although I think they are usually only an inch or so thick.

Joe.
    Oops. Yes they did. Same solution, though. Aftermarket springs are the best solution, along with control arms if more than an inch or so of lift is needed (corrects the geometry). Spacers can provide some lift, or correct wear, but you'll sacrifice ride quality (a lot) and spring compression rate.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Most everything i can find is for 1/2 ton or 88-98 will the newer control arms mount to the truck i know the ball joints will need some work

If I remember right Dr. Lee lifted the front of his truck...? It was probably described in one of his articles about the build of his rig.
    Also the front suspension on the 2wd 3/4 semi float is the same as a 1/2 ton.
    Does your truck have 8 lug rims?
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Yes it has 8 lug i tried to look up dr lees truck and could only find pictures of the truck any help is appreciated

Arrow Custom 2WD lift for my 1984 square-body

I made all the parts I needed including:

Spacers to go on top of the coil springs (5 inches)

Drop brackets to lower the mounting of the lower control arms to the frame (5 inches)

Ball joint extensions to fill the space between the lowered spindle and the upper control arms still mounted to original position (guess what - 5 inches!)

Extra shims for the upper control arm to get the proper camber

Steering arm connectors to provide the proper offset to the tie rods to avoid bump steer with the new geometry (5 inches again)

When I tore everything apart, put the new pieces in, and wrestled it all back together (compressing the springs was the fun part) I was pleasantly surprised to find that the steering wheel was still centered!! Still drove it carefully to the alignment shop for the final tweaking.

I do not provide any copies of my plans - I do not need the liability of someone doing something wrong and blaming me. But my truck is still rolling down the road with no problems 21 years after lifting it .
    Dr. Lee

1984 C-10, custom 6.5L SAA, custom 700R4, Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN

Default 2wheel drive lift

Was wondering if lifting the body would be easier,just extending cables ,wires, steering shaft and has anyone tried a body lift vs suspension lift.What would the cost difference be and what would it look like?Thinking about it,I not sure if seeing more frame would enhance the trucks appearance with a body lift.Nekid,when you get her figured out and done,if you can post some pictures that would be great.

GOOD LUCK
    OIL BURN

I have a two inch body lift in my 1996 1 ton. It was the best thing I ever did to that truck. I gained access to allot of parts that were TIGHT before. The frame is more visible but IMHO it's not an issue. I have after market bumpers so that was not an issue either. It also made cleaning the salt out every year simpler. Made mounting my goose neck plate easier as well.
    I don't think I would ever go higher but the two inch lift is nice....IMHO
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
    I have a two inch body lift in my 1996 1 ton. It was the best thing I ever did to that truck. I gained access to allot of parts that were TIGHT before. The frame is more visible but IMHO it's not an issue. I have after market bumpers so that was not an issue either. It also made cleaning the salt out every year simpler. Made mounting my goose neck plate easier as well.
    I don't think I would ever go higher but the two inch lift is nice....IMHO
    The GMT-800 HD trucks (2001+) have an OEM 2" body lift. It was necessary to fit the Allison tranny.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Default body lift

I'am beginning to like the idea of a body lift for my 74 gmc crew cab for reasons stated by Dvldog8793 and DmaxMaverick.2 inch lift would be about right,a little chassis black on the frame would jazz it up.Well here we go,another project,thats why we own these trucks.

Thanks

OIL BURN