Thread: New truck, didn't get diesel supplement

Default New truck, didn't get diesel supplement

I have been trying to find my (actually any) diesel supplement that was SUPPOSED to come with my owner's manual. I didn't get one. My manual refers to the diesel supplement for ALL things related to the Duramax engine.

I was looking for capacities and even reccommendations for oil, fuel, etc. Did anyone else get one with their truck? I went to the dealer, they were totally dumbfounded about it. I showed them in the manual where it refers to it.

They are supposed to be 'checking' on it, but you know how that goes...

What am I missing? Also, are there repair manuals either here on this site, or available through the dealer, even aftermarket for this truck?

Also I am worried that I am asking questions that have been covered. I have tried the faqs and the search function, but I am not getting the info I am seeking. Am I doing something wrong? I know I have asked a lot of questions, but I am just really wanting to know.

Thanks for all your answers and patience!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Arrow

All good questions.

For the supplemental, register and log into www.mygmlink.com . There you can download any user manuals (not service manuals) pertaining to your vehicle. If you have more than one GM vehicle, you can register them, too.

The service manuals can be had from www.helminc.com for the hard copy, or www.alldatadiy.com for an online manual. Check them out, but I highly recommend alldata. Alldata will also have a copy of the owner's manual and supplemental.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Thanks

Dmax, I have registered at mygmlink, still can't get my vin in, guess I'll have to call and talk to them. I emailed them about the supplement, and still haven't heard back. Thanks for the alldata pointer.

Have you seen the supplement? I bet I can (and do) get more info here than I could even begin to with it. It's more of the principle. I changed the oil Tuesday and couldn't get a definitive answer on how much oil it takes with a filter (I didn't have access to a PC).

Unfortunately I think it is a little over full, I put in 10 quarts thinking it took 12. It is reading just above the bullet on the end of the dipstick. I hope this doesn't hurt anything.
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Arrow

Dipsticks are kinda' misleading. The sticks are not always the same, but the sumps are. The listed oil capacity is 10 qts. Unless you have a dent in the sump, that's what it is. If you change your oil filter and put in 10 qts, the level on the stick should be your oil level. There are a bunch of marks (slots) on the stick, but no high/low level indicator. If your oil level is above the last slot, it should be OK. Verify your level with 10 qts, and remember where on the stick it shows, and go from there. If you have a hard time reading the stick, you can drill a small hole (1/8") in the grooves. Whatever the stick shows, don't put in less than 10 qts.

The mygmlink thing was easy for me on the first truck because I had an invitation. I had to verify the VINs for my others. Once you get it up and working, it's pretty neat. A lot of nice features, including notices for any recalls. If you have Onstar, you can monitor that from there, as well.

True about the info in the supp. You will get better info here. You should have it, though. You may have a question and can't get online when you need an answer. There are no stupid questions here, so ask away when you feel the need.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Chevrolet Diesel manual

you can go to Chevy.com
    http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html

it's free, I see the diesel supplement manual for the '11 and '13 years for sure.

Default 2004 diesel manual supplement please

Hi, new to this forum and to Chevy diesels...
    I've bought an '04 3500 w/Allison but it didnt come with the diesel supplement. I too cannot get the "mygm" site to work; anyone have a pdf they could post or email?
    many thanks in advance
    imacautosport@gmail.com

I bought a 98 without any manuals. I purchased the owners manual only to find about the diesel supplement, similar to you. If you go to eBay and search for "GM Diesel Supplement", you will probably find what you're looking for, even for the correct year. That's how I ended up getting mine. Good luck!

yeah, thx, found several sources where you can buy them for $40 and up, was hoping there was a pdf on line somewhere :-)

My diesel supplement for my 04 LB7 is ~50 pages and deals with the differences that you'll encounter with the DM that you don't get in the big owner's manual.
    Worth having, but I'd hate to pay $40 for one. Have you searched through some local junk yards?

Don't know why folks seem to throw out/lose their manuals with such regularity. Back when I was in the motorcycle business, that was one of my pet peeves. I've bought a lot of used vehicles over the years, and only about one out of every three have had owner's manuals with them.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Ian, I sent you a pdf copy of my 03 Diesel Supplement manual ..
    Last edited by jbplock; 11-25-2014 at 03:11. Reason: update
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jbplock View Post
    Ian, I sent you a pdf copy of my 03 Diesel Supplement manual ..
    Many thanks Bill, have already printed it out.
    These forums always bring out the best people :-)

I just took delivery of a new 2015 yesterday, and found the duramax manual. On the back is the number #22948873 B
    You had me worried for a minute. I remember the one that came with my 2008 model, but that one didn't have DEF to worry about, so this manual has info the other one did not.