Thread: changed fuel filter and went into "limp mode"

Default changed fuel filter and went into "limp mode"

I have an '07 6.6 duramax. I changed the oil/filter and fuel filter as scheduled just like I always do with any of our trucks here at the shop. When I sent the truck on its way out of town to start another job, it was returned to me. The driver said that he made it just a few miles and lost most power, only revs to 2000 rpm ("limp mode") Check engine light is on so I plugged the scanner in and it read P0106: Manifold Absolute Pressure...etc. I took the fuel filter off, made sure the o-ring was well seated, put it back on, primed it and started it. No difference. I did notice that the primer does not stay tight after primed and started. Somebody please get me out of "limp mode"!

Arrow

If you can bleed more air out of the fuel filter, it's leaking or there's an airleak upstream of the filter.

The air bleed screw has been known to fail in some way that leads to leaks.

If you have a shop air compressor, you can wrap an airhose with an oily shop rag, set the regulator to somewhere between 5 and 10-psi, then stuff the air hose into the fuel tank. After a few seconds or a few minutes, you'll know is there's a leak in teh fuel supply line or fuel filter.

Jim

Did you use one of the black plastic Wix/Napa/Car Quest filters?

They are known to do this although the P0106 is odd...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!