Thread: Glow plug on Dmax 6.6 LBY 2003 Silverado

Default Glow plug on Dmax 6.6 LBY 2003 Silverado

I was changing the injector and remark the glow plug rail very rusty at the cyl no 8..
    I remove the retaining nuts cyl 2 4 6 easy as i touch the 8 with my fingers to remove the rust ,the rail cut and the center of the gowplug was loose,
    i pull it out
    .IT so rustly that is impossible to remove the glow plug.
    What i have to do Bypass this one or try to remove this glow plug.Your help will be appreciate. Thanks

Default Broken glow plug. Need help

D max Lby 2003 cyl no8
    The rail was so rusty and the glow plug to, that i can' t unsrew the plug to replace.
    I want to know if i can run the engine without problem . thanks

Arrow

Having a dead plug won't hurt the engine, or inhibit normal running in any way. Except in extreme cold climates, they are there to keep the EPA happy. My 2001 will start easily without any plugs (or other heat source) down to -10F after an overnight soak.

BTW.....
    Your 2003 is an LB7. Never heard of an "LBY".
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Glow plug

Yes it's a LB7, i made a mistake when typing
    Thanks DmaxMaverick for your help.

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Until I see temps at -40F or worse, my glow plugs on my LLY only cycle for 1 second of less. That thing has never failed to start, even when I forget to plug her in with the 15W-40 in her.

Awesome motors these Dmax's.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

The Federal LB7 feeds the entire bank of 8 plugs from the connection at the #8 plug. You will want to move this feed forward to the #6 plug assuming the rest of the rail is still intact.

If you decide to try to change the plug(s)

Start by soaking the plug in question with a good penetrant. Try a light battery impact or butterfly turned down to a low setting (access is easier said than done) and let the gun rattle on it for a bit before turning up the power just a bit. They usually come out believe it or not. Smear the threads of the body and the terminal with dielectric grease to prevent future seizure and corrosion.

We keep a high quality aftermarket plug on the shelf that has served us well over the years. We also have of can get the AC Delco plugs but they are a lot more expensive.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!