Thread: Injector Replacement cost?

Default Injector Replacement cost?

Anyone give me a ball park cost on a dealer replacing the injectors in a 2001 Duramax. I just want an idea if this needs to be done. I'd rather find out now than have the big one when I get the bill.

NutNbutGMC Guest

If I recall correctly, $3,800 - $4,500 according to the service warranty sheets that I saw when I had three different replacement fiascos.

What was most frustrating was the down time. It was weeks, not days for me. Parts availability (back in 01 and 02), then a lack of motivation of the wrenchers. I used to stop in and snoop during the day (unannounced during business hours at the dealership, as I worked about 1/2 mile away) . They were just useless on most days until I started taking pictures (dealership in Bloomington, IL).

The last time the 2002 model started leaking oil from all of the teardowns (at 98k miles), it was more economical for me to replace the truck, thus the 2007 that I have now. I was over it at that time.

Had my injectors replace on my 02 with 147,000miles. Cost me $5200.00 Totally floored me. This was about 3 weeks ago.
    Took the truck in because the oil pressure was dropping. Dealer check things out, told me the injectors were fine, gave me a printout with what minimum acceptable oil pressure was. Took a $113.00 and sent me on my way.
    One week later with the oil pressure continuing to drop and then spraying fuel over the entire underside of the truck. Took it back in. Eight days to get the repair done.
    Don't think I will ever buy another.

Al

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaAl View Post
    Had my injectors replace on my 02 with 147,000miles. Cost me $5200.00 Totally floored me. This was about 3 weeks ago.
    Took the truck in because the oil pressure was dropping. Dealer check things out, told me the injectors were fine, gave me a printout with what minimum acceptable oil pressure was. Took a $113.00 and sent me on my way.
    One week later with the oil pressure continuing to drop and then spraying fuel over the entire underside of the truck. Took it back in. Eight days to get the repair done.
    Don't think I will ever buy another.

Al
    A diesel dump will indeed strip the entire underside of all coatings. In addition, I had to have the wiring harnesses replaced each time. Diesel ruined them. Soaked them to the core. An injector failure like this is nothing but a total mess. I can always tell who has really experienced this issue. Otherwise, they have no clue as to the mess it makes.

I took this pic on my first encounter. It's like running it through a car wash with diesel as the detergent cleaner and no rinse.