Thread: Surge

Default Surge

I have a 2002 GMC Duramax. It surges at idle and has given codes for low fuel rail pressure and low voltage. What could it be? Duramax is new to me I am an old Cummins mechanic. Give ma an 855 and I an on it ! The computer age of diesels is here and frustrating to us old dogs

First step.... Change the fuel filter. A plugged fuel filter can affect rail pressures.

Then, I'd look at commanded & actual rail pressures using a tech II scan tool if the problem continues.

Jim

Default ??????

I have replaced the filter, also have replaced the water sensor on the filter. I noticed the surge and thats when I replaced those things. I also should mention when it gives that code almost instantly it goes into limp mode and will not go over 2000 rpm's and a bunch of white smoke.

The white smoke and codes for low fuel rail pressure are classic symptoms of injector failure with high return rates. If so it would qualify for the 7 year/200kmi injector special policy warranty.

see the following link for more info ..
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...orwarranty.htm
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jbplock View Post
    The white smoke and codes for low fuel rail pressure are classic symptoms of injector failure with high return rates. If so it would qualify for the 7 year/200kmi injector special policy warranty.

see the following link for more info ..
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...orwarranty.htm
    Thank you for the info. I am currently deployed to Iraq, so I will have my uncle take it to the dealer. I will be home on R&R in a few months and I miss my truck! Is there any special info I need to give him to take it to the dealer? Thanks again.