Thread: How do I drain fuel tank????

Exclamation How do I drain fuel tank????

So i started working on my 83 6. 2L Jimmy thats been sitting for 5 years. I changed the oil and oil filter installed a new air filter and hooked up 2 new batteries. I pressed the glow. Plug button for about 10 seconds and tryed starting. First try fail but turned over on the second try but turned off right away. I waited a few minutes and pressed glow plug button 10 seconds and pressed the accelerator a little and turned key.it started up.i tryed reving it up to keep it running. A cloud of white smoke came out the back and when I let go of the pendle it turned off and would not start again. I was planning on draining fuel from tank and add new fuel but do not know how or where to start. I've never worked on a diesel before.so please be detailed.....thanks.

Howdy
    If your truck does not have a fuel neck screen then you can siphon right out of the tank.
    Otherwise I think the line that connects to the lift pump will drain the fuel should be just a hose clamp fitting.
    Check your thread in the 6.2 page for GREAT start up info procedure.
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
    Howdy
    If your truck does not have a fuel neck screen then you can siphon right out of the tank.
    Otherwise I think the line that connects to the lift pump will drain the fuel should be just a hose clamp fitting.
    Check your thread in the 6.2 page for GREAT start up info procedure.
    Where is the lift pump located at?

Same location as a fuel pump on a chevy gasser. Front bottom passenger side of the block.
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Arrow

If you suspect poor fuel quality in the tank, there are a few things to consider. First, #2 Diesel fuel doesn't deteriorate, by itself. If it is contaminated bad enough it causes starting/running issues, then the tank, itself, is suspect. Just replacing the fuel may not cure the problem, even if it seems to right away. If the fuel in the tank is contaminated, I recommend draining, dropping and cleaning the tank. Otherwise, you'll likely be revisiting this in the near future. Also, the first tank of fresh fuel should include a healthy dose of biocide, to kill off any growth than may have occurred, which will return unless treated.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Fyi when the gauge reads below empty and you start to run out of fuel driveing there is still about 3 gallons of fuel in the 32 gallon jimmy/blazer tank.
    If your in a rusty area of the country expect to brake the tank strap bolts.
    There are 2 styles of straps one style hooks onto a crossmember while the other end (twards the tailgate) uses bolts. The replacement part just uses bolts on both ends without modifacation it fits right in. You might be able to save the tar paper anti squeek pads mine were stuck to the old tank so i just glued a cut strips of tire inner tube.