Thread: Very loud truck

Default Very loud truck

Hi, my 2004.5 LLY has a non-stock exhaust system (I'm not even sure what it is... But there doesn't seem to be a muffler).

It's a pipe coming from the block, splits into two... And then goes to two nice chrome tips.

Thing is very loud, when I was looking at it up on the hoist my mechanic said it would be easy enough to cut the single pipe and put a muffler on it.

Any thoughts? it's not a big deal on short trips, but it's very, very loud on long road trips (3-5 days driving means wife and I can't talk without getting a sore throat).

Thanks allot,

Gary
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Hi, Gary.
    I put a 4" MBRP (non-stainless steel) exhaust on my 03 LB7 in 2007. It exits out in front of the RR tire because I have an air suspension back there. Though it's louder than a stock exhaust, it's not too intrusive. I have a five inch SS tip on it. Rust hasn't been a problem. The system goes from the down pipe, back. IIRC, the whole thing cost in the neighborhood of $400, installed.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.