Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing Laws!

Geeez, my 1/2 ton, trailer and car weighed over 10k. I never got harassed in LA, AL, TN, GA or KY with it. I step up to a bigger truck because I got tired of white knuckling the steering wheel. Now I'm going to run the possibilty of being harassed by every DOT officer that passes me ! I say this because 2 of my friends have now been pulled over by DOT while they were pulling their solid white, no stickers, enclosed car trailers. Here in the south you don't see DOT pulling over Grandpa driving the CC Dually pulling a 36 ft camper or Jim Bob pulling a tractor or dozer that weighs well over 10k (and I mean INTER or INTRA stat).
    6APPEAL<br />87 GN - street machine<br />87 GN # 2- TSM wanna be<br />00 GSE - wife\'s black, forced induction car<br />05 Chevy 2500HD Crew- it\'s black and turboed

Unhappy

MD. PA. and Va. are screwing with all towed vehicles, and MD gets real POed when we have our trailers tagged in Maine "which is perfectly leagal". They are stopping lawn care utility type trailers, campers and horse trailers. They are checking for the tagged GVCW on the registrations. If you aren't tagged heavy enough you get a big fine (trailer tags come with different wieghts lbs. and it cost more the heavier the rating). I was told that I have to pull through the scales even when towing our fifth wheel camper. And my truck and trailers are non-comercial. Maryland say's it's just been a courtesy that they have been extending to Non-comecial vehicles and RV's until recently and now all must go through scales. I do save a lot of Money and hassel's by tagging our trailers in Maine and running Maine plates. That's why the big rigs do it. This crack down on the campers and little guy's is just a revenue process. The state and local govt's get Fed tax dollars for doing DOT enforcment. It's just another form of taxes. Drive safe.

Will Bill here in md on my regerstation card for both my dully and trailer it has 00n/a for gvw,what the hell does that mean,and can you register your trailer for a lower weight so you don;t have to fool with dot,i have a 1 ton dully and a 42' goose neck car trailer that has 18000 on the sticker on the trailer,but i want to register it at 14500 to stay under the 26000 thanks

You can put whatever weight rating on your trailer and truck registration that you want. However if your trailer weighs 6,000 lbs and you tag it for 4,000 or less and get weighed, they will fine you for being overweight. And remember you should tag it for the empty weight plus the heaviest loaded weight total it will weigh GVW (Gross Veh Weight). I have my all trailers registered at the minimum weight 3,000 lbs. and my truck is registered for a GVCW (Gross Veh Combination Weight) of 21,000 lbs. I save a lot of money because I have three trailers. And the truck GVCW registration covers the weight of the truck plus the loaded weight of the trailer it is pulling. That way you aren't paying for the trailer tag every year $180.00 for 18,000lbs. each. If you only have one trailer it might not save you any money. I hope I didn't confuse you. But basicaly the registration's for the truck and trailer must have enough GVW between them for what ever your total weight is for both truck and trailer.