Thread: How do I change dash lights??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do I change dash lights??

I have removed the cluster. How do I access the lightbulbs?? Thanks for your help, Joe

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-15-2008 at 07:49. Reason: added type of truck

Question How to open cluster?

I could maybe get to the lights, however, I am unable to get the cluster open. There are clamps/clips around the outside that are open, but it still will not come apart. We can remove the rear to reveil the computer board. Do you have to take out the board to get at the lights to replace them? If so, how do I get the board off. I don't want to break it. Thanks, Joe

Default You have to buy the cluster

I have found out that you can not replace the bulbs on the dash. The operate the gear lights (Drive - reverse- neutral...) and the speedometer at night.

I had to purchase a new cluster $250 wholesale and $400 retail.

This STINKS!!!

-Joe

Wow... That does stink... I remember on my older cars I could replace burned out lights...

SInce you purchased a new one, you may want to try and dremel the old one apart and see if you could change the lights?
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Arrow

It is my understanding that the lights are actually LED's Dakster. At least the indicator lights are. We usually get our IPC's from ISSPRO out of Seattle, WA. I have tried to disassmeble the IPC before, but no luck. Don't forget, 2003 and newer need to be programmed by you GM dealer. The IPC needs to know what kind of vehicle it is in and what kind of options the vehicle as well as having the VIN programmed into it.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

You can still change LEDS with a soldering iron, however, it looks like "they" made it so you can't get to them.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

it can be done. A buddy of mine changed the colors of his and it looks sick. He posted the instructions on another page but I'll see if i can post them here too.

Default Interchange to LED from incandescent bulbs

Hi Guys:
    I am really new to this forum but I was interested in replacing the dash lights as I was down to one. I bought this 2003 GMC 3500 dually to be used to pull my 40 foot fifth wheel, I am getting scared now as I should have bought the single axle Freightliner I looked at instead, but I didn't so I gotta fix the Jimmy.
    I pulled the dash right down to the PC Board and what a pile of junk, "they" used soldered in incandescent bulbs, what gives here, I phoned my Napa parts dealer for bulbs they told me that from 2001 on there is no listing for bulbs, So I phoned our local GM dealer, the Partsperson said "We will have to send it out for repair takes about 3 weeks to do it" Impressed I was not, so it was do it myself time.
    I replaced all the bulbs with super brite white LEDs I just happened to have lots of them, threw away the plastic support as the bulbs did not need them now, I then cut the pin at the receptical plug using a single balast resistor to pull the voltage down to 3.5 volts foreward ( I actually got 3.2v ) when it was all assembled it gives it a sort of blueish tone that I rather like, it was rather simple to do but then I have tinkered with electronics for years. I had consdidered putting LEC wire in but it was going to be seen thru the cracks so I backed off, mabe next time. For you that are not familiar with LECs it is a sort of gassless neon looking rope also called "Neon Trim" and "Linelights" but they also require a ballast transformer (Inverter) it would have to be mounted somewhere under the dash.
    Anyhow it is done now I can concentrate on other problems now.

Rae

Default dash lights

Hi guys:
    As to changing bulbs in dash it is simple if you are not weak at heart, in the previous article there is a detailed instruction.
    But for those that are a little aprehensive simply remove the cluster, spring the plastic holding clips removing the overlay plastic lens cover, you should now be down to the guage needles, with 2 screwdrivers gently pry them off, now lift the guage black or ?? overlay ( 2 or so press on post holders)and you should now be down to a white and clear plastic cover lift this off and you are down to the PC board, as said before, identify the 2 dash light posts + or- on the receptical, this is the most difficult part. I replaced all the bulbs with LED's and used 1 balast resistor, mine worked out to a little less than 1000 ohms. Reasemble all the cluster and presto bluish dash lights. Use some lexan polish to clean the plastic and it looks like new and costs you about $2.00 for parts, $1,000.00 for frustration.