Thread: Duramax fuel cooler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do the 2003's 6600 have a fuel cooler?
    I am brand new to this and am thinking about a new Duramax. I read somewhere that there is a fuel cooler but I don't remember which model year.
    This is my first post.
    thanks

First off welcome "cabdoors" I'm sure others will chime in on this but the only fuel cooler I know of is a little raditor looking thing in front of the fuel tank. Kneel down on the drivers side, front edge of the box and you'll see the tank with the cooler in front of it. Second, quit thinkin' and go get it!! You'll be in love from the first drive and develope that famous "DMAX Grin". After 7 months and 10,000 miles I'm still impressed. You'll get lots of geat info from our fellow members, so enjoy the site, and go buy that truck
    '02 2500HD, LS, Ext Cab, LB, D/A combo, 4x4, Indigo Blue (the good lookin' blue), Graphite Interior/Buckets, just about every option but leather
    MAN ... I LOVE THIS THING!!

Hey Guys, if you run dirt or dusty Roads,blow the Fuel Cooler out now and then . Makes for better running.

2001 Dmax crew 3500 stock.

Merconvert Thanks for the pointer. One more thing to remember to check...
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7

Welcome to the forum, Cabdoors. I do believe that the cooler in front of the tank is an engine oil cooler. It is mounted there to warm the diesel. Diesel doesn't like cold.

Joe

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>
    02 GMC 2500HD D/A EC LB SLT
    FLAME RED! Charcoal Leather Buckets
    Pacer 16x8.5 Chrome Split Rims W/285R16 Goodyear MT/R'
    Weston Nerf Bars
    Fold-A-Cover
    Lund Bug Deflector
    Air lift Air Springs
    Gabriel HiJacker Air Shocks-all 4
    JUICED
    Elkhorn 11X slide-in
    Rinker 212 Captiva

My 2003 has the little radiator in front of the fuel tank, so yes to 2003 Fuel Coolers [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Randy<br />2003 2500HD C/C D/A Pewter -Retrax Cover -Michelin LTX M/S 265/75E-16\'s -Smittybuilt Step Rails -Banks Exhaust -CA Hot Juice -Predator - Kennedy Headlight Harness -SPA 211

I was under the impression the little radiator in front of the fuel tank was the injector computer. The fuel runs through it to cool it and the fins help dissapate heat the old fashioned way. My 2K2 has this assembly, maybe what you guys are referring to is in addition to it.

Kevin
    2K2 EC/SB K2500 D/A<br />Other than the TS123, Dakota Digital Boost and EGT gauges and the H2 Wheels with 33x12.50 R17s - Bone Stock

Idle_Chatter Guest

Nope, the injection computer is up on the engine and fuel is run around it there to remove heat. The return fuel then goes back down along the DS frame rail and up through that fuel cooler "radiator" before going back to the the tank. That's one reason for the admonition about running the tank too low. All the return heat from the ECM isn't mixed with enough cooler fuel in the tank and the fuel going forward is getting hotter and may not cool the ECM enough. When I plumbed in my aux tank, it came with a quick-connect tool to snap into that fuel cooler so that returning fuel goes through the cooler and then to the "in service" tank (OEM or aux). As one who spent a bit of time up under there futzing around with the plumbing, I can tell you that it is just a tube & fin cooler. And it's not oil, Jettster, it's fuel - and the return flow of warm fuel *and* the heat added to it by the ECM take care of that "cold diesel syndrome" you're referring to.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Idle_Chatter ]</p>