Thread: 2003 fuel injectors

Default 2003 fuel injectors

I purchased a 03 duramax friday. The dealer lied about the sale and condition of the truck. The dealee said they were not doing anything about it. This is my 1st diesel. It is puffing white/grey smoke during idle time and the once on the road it goes away. I was told that the injectors need to be replaced
    The questions I have are 1st.... What is the best brand for the money? 2nd... is that a job thar I can do myself? I am a pastor and have very limited funds. Any help will be greatly appropriated. Thanks...

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

This is very disappointing to hear, and the main reason so many dealers get a bad name. If it is in need of injectors, the dealer really left you out on a limb. Unless you got the truck for a real steal, it's bad in the worst way. LB7 injectors can be done, but requires more than only a casual familiarity of vehicle service. The injectors alone will cost $1500 or more, and requires more than 10 hours of skilled labor to do the job (it takes me longer, but I'm slow). If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it with very careful attention to detail, and the right instructions. A typical dealership cost for the job is $4000 or more (they charge more for the parts). You can often find a much better deal through a local shop, or a dealer tech who does work after hours (your best option, if you have that option). You've had the truck for less than a week, so I would start with the dealer you bought it from. If it's a GM dealer, they will have a lot of room to work with, especially if the salesman told you the truck wouldn't need any significant repair. They'll often help with labor and/or parts costs, typically leaving you with about 1/2 the bill. Depending on your state's law, you may have other options to pursue. I'd begin with, at least, having the dealership provide a complete diagnosis at their expense. Get the service manager, sales manager, and the owner involved. Good luck with whatever you choose, and please keep us informed.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

What we do here is replace all 8 injectors, all 8 high pressure supply lines, return seals etc and also do GM thermostats and fresh coolant while we are in there. This puts cost in the range of what a dealer gets to do their basic swap job. We use genuine GM/Bosch remans and nothing else.

For those willing and able to go the extra mile to protect their investment we add lift pump setup and Mega filter setup. The jury is still out on how long they will last, but it sure has to help.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!