Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: water pump replacement + overheat

I blew it out with a light pressure washing and visual inspection.

Thermostats are definitely OEM / GM.

G
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Arrow

....Or, perhaps, the condition that (may have) caused the initial WP failure is still at work.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

pretty easy to tell if the fan clutch is engaged just by trying to spin the fan. Like already stated, when it is cold or when it is HOT the fan should be bound to the serpentine belt and spinning in time with the engine. When the clutch is not engaged, the fan will spin more easily. Not freewheel easy, but easier than when it is engaged.

So... What does YOUR fan feel like when it's hot/lukewarm/cold?

For the fan clutch, can't tell right now, but I'll be checking when I get the truck back. Didn't know that was how you tested it.

For DMaxMaverick: Yah, that's my real fear.

I don't think I've got a gasket issue, none of the the signs I've seen so far point in that direction. But who knows.

Oil looks good, coolant looks good. No abnormal smoke, compression tested properly coolant system pressure tested properly.

truck worked until the water pump cacked out. Confounding variables are:
    * New thermostats - Are they bunk?
    * New fan clutch - is it bunk?
    * Hard to isolate issue, only appears pulling 9500+lbs on 6% grades 2+ miles long.
    ** One thing to note, the initial overheat issue from before the WP fix took much, much less time to materialize. I essentially overheated on a gentle incline. Whatever's going on now is at least 2 orders of magnitude less severe.
    * I did put a couple water wetters in near the beginning of this trip when I saw some warmer temperatures on more gentle climbs.

Things that may be causing problems, but have been on the truck since it last pulled the trailer up a severe grade:
    * Air box is not stock and it's garbage.
    * Tuned ECM

Things that are potential unknowns:
    * Non stock exhaust.

Additional info:
    * Not empirical data but the truck does seem to run alternately hot and cold... Sometimes when i"m on a long gentle slope it runs 190ish... Sometimes on what feels like the same slope or just slightly steeper it seems to hit 225 - 230 pretty quickly. Take this with a grain of salt, there's no data to back this up.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
    I blew it out with a light pressure washing and visual inspection.

Was it in vehicle or removed? In order to get all the chaff and junk out you really need to remove the rad and IC and clean independently.

The fan clutch only knows what it sees for coil temp and if the air in that area does not get it to that temp it will not engage.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Was it in vehicle or removed? In order to get all the chaff and junk out you really need to remove the rad and IC and clean independently.

The fan clutch only knows what it sees for coil temp and if the air in that area does not get it to that temp it will not engage.
    In vehicle, I'll get it out and cleaned. Didn't look gunked up, but worth the check.

G

So Left Coast Diesel called me back, they can't find an issue. Thermostats seem to be functioning... fan clutch is operating as expected.

Everything is looking good to them, they're going to try a pressure test and then try and reproduce the issue by hooking up a trailer and dragging it up a mountain to see what the truck does.

I've asked them to examine the cooling stack and see if it's crudded up, but he thinks the mechanic has already done that.

He warned me about the cavitation issue that I did originally have that's since been resolved.

I've definitly never heard the fan engage in the way that is described. So i'm wondering if perhaps something else in the grill is interfering with the air flow. Or maybe the radiators really are crudded up.

G

This is the airbox currently on the truck

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=57-3047

As the ECT heats up the air intake heats up.

Even stopped on the side of the road I don't see any appreciable cooling until I pop the hood, then the intake cools down almost immediately and the ECT also cools down.

Eventually the transmission follows, but there's quite a bit of lag there.

A scoop is probably not a great idea, I see where Kennedy is going there. But at the very least that box shouldn't be open to air in an already hot engine compartment.

Other than a plugged up cooling stack (possible, but not likely) or aforementioned head gasket issue that we've ruled out at every turn I have literally no other idea.

Hopefully the shop can repro the issue on a long haul up a steep grade and get some better ideas of what's going on.

Gary

For years the LLY has been problematic for some and many factors and fixes have come out. I still say that if the cooling stack has not come out it needs to. The stuff that blocks it is in the areas that you cannot see, particularly the area of the clutch etc.

With all the fixes, the only one that I have ever seen work on a problem truck was at one time called the Rad mod V2 by TXChristopher. Chris did not have the greatest business skills and has not built these in years, but www.coolertowing.com is now doing them.

I'm not a fan of replacing the OE radiator, I've seen that proven over time to not work. Adding the second rad and electric fan seems to be the way to go.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    For years the LLY has been problematic for some and many factors and fixes have come out. I still say that if the cooling stack has not come out it needs to. The stuff that blocks it is in the areas that you cannot see, particularly the area of the clutch etc.

With all the fixes, the only one that I have ever seen work on a problem truck was at one time called the Rad mod V2 by TXChristopher. Chris did not have the greatest business skills and has not built these in years, but www.coolertowing.com is now doing them.

I'm not a fan of replacing the OE radiator, I've seen that proven over time to not work. Adding the second rad and electric fan seems to be the way to go.
    I'm definitely going to blast out the cooling stack as well as put on a more effective cold air intake. Not sure what else I can do other than bring it into a GM dealership and replace the whole shebang with the LBZ cooling system as per GM's spec. I may also have a larger capacity trans / oil pan put on with cooling fins as a way of improving the overall heat characteristics of the vehicle.

Any thoughts on those 2 items (larger fluid capacity components)

Gary

So some good news, Left Coast Diesel said they were able to at least partially recreate the issue on a really brutal hill with a vehicle trailer and a couple of cars.

They pulled and inspected the radiator and determined that there is debris in the radiator and that the radiator itself was in need of external cleaning. Their recommending replacing the radiator and I'm having them do that + power wash the rest of the cooling stack and replace the K+N air intake with a cold air intake.

Obviously the cooling system is in need of flushing too. That needed too happen as I didn't want to leave the water wetter additive in there in any case.

So progress on that front.

I will call my local wrecking yards and see what I can do about being alerted when an intact LBZ air box comes in / monitor ebay and replace that when I can do so economically.

I will post my results when I get back into Vancouver, hopefully without overheating.

The "water" side of these cooling systems tends to remain clean as a whistle. The air side plugs up with debris, but is very easily cleaned with some TLC so there is really no need to replace the rad.

Water wetter is just fine in any cooling system so I'd not worry about that.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Yah that's my understanding. But they did say they apparently found some foreign debris.... Which is definitely not normal at all.

Who knows what the previous owner put in his cooling system though. I'll be taking a look myself later today.

Kennedy was right. The radiator had a family of starlings living in it.

Will post pictures when I have a chance.

G

tumbleweeds, butterflies, bees, and birdfeathers I would expect depending on the operating environment.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Problem solved.

I drove back over the Oregon i5 mountain passes with 9500 lbs of 5th wheel.

The whole run was at or above the speed limit and the main assent was about 6% for 4 or 5 miles where I kept it floored the whole time. Hit the top at about 65 mph and the outside temp was about 35.C (95f)

Ect on the insite never went above 224. The fan clutch did not noticeably engage.

Overall I'm comfortable saying the problem is solved.

G

The offending radiator:
    https://goo.gl/photos/TocR9AC9FvJUynqh8

That'll do it. I'm reasonably certain that this rad would work just fine with the air side cleaned and there's nothing wrong with the wet side.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 07-23-2015 at 08:50.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Wink

Yeah clean it up and put it on craigslist (hee hee)
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14

Do you have this item for sale?
    I would like to pay full price for this item if you kindly will forward me your paypal address and contact informations. I am currently overseas and will have a representative of mine contact you for shipping of this item upon your satisfactory receipt of my payments.
    Best regards,
    Norton B Schwackingham