Thread: Loosing Antifreeze

Default Loosing Antifreeze

The newer to me 2001 is loosing antifreeze. I have had to add about a quart twice now in recent times to satisfy the low coolant light. I cannot tell where it is going. The other 2001 had a head gasket go out and during that affair I could smell it in the exhaust. This one I seem to be able to smell it out of the engine compartment. I cannot see any remnants of a leak. The system is pressurized only while at operating temperature. The oil level is not changed any of notice.
    I hear of the water pump problem, but with the way it is buried in there, how do you tell if it is the cause?

Thanks for any help !
    Last edited by markelectric; 10-14-2014 at 10:25. Reason: added comment
    1999 K1500 Sub, Wont tow but what a family car
    1999 Dodge 3500 4x4 6sp Cummins, with the needed goodies
    2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto Cummins, Will make even a Cummins engineer smile
    2001 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 shortbed, Finally able to test the JK reprogram.......

Arrow

The water pump has a weep hole, below the pump shaft area, against the accessory adapter. If you can't "see" it, use a rolled paper towel and touch the area below the pump. If it's leaking, it will show coolant color on the towel, and it should have that odor. If the area is clean and dry, the pump is probably not leaking.

If the truck is "new to you", it may have had cooling system service prior to you taking it. If the bleeding procedure was not followed, it can take a long time and miles to bleed all the air. More info on that, if you need it.

In the meanwhile, if the reservoir cap looks old or original, replace it (OEM part ONLY), or just replace it for no reason at all. A leaky cap will allow the water (steam) to vapor off. Keep in mind, only the water will leave during this process, so adding only coolant or a mix increases the coolant concentration.
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 10-14-2014 at 12:11.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have owned the truck for a year now. Right at my first 1000 miles to me it needed 2 injectors and received a whole set of 8. Work was done by a Page member who runs his own shop and also did the set on my other truck. I have put about 12,000 miles on it since the injector job. It is still running the pink anti freeze.
    1999 K1500 Sub, Wont tow but what a family car
    1999 Dodge 3500 4x4 6sp Cummins, with the needed goodies
    2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 auto Cummins, Will make even a Cummins engineer smile
    2001 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 shortbed, Finally able to test the JK reprogram.......

Arrow

I need to make a correction to my previous post (too many vehicles on my brain this morning).....

Your water pump does not have a pulley or shaft (that you can see). The pump is internally gear driven.

However, it does have a weep hole, below the shaft area of the pump against the accessory adapter. If coolant is leaking, you should be able to easily see it, looking up from the bottom, or feeling the area with a paper towel.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Best way to find the leak is to put the system under pressure with a hand pump kit on the reservoir.

Heater tubes can leak due to porous weld (passengers side) but that was more 2002+ trucks to the best of my knowledge. Water pump weep hole as mentioned. You could also use the pressure tested to very carefully monitor system pressure as the engine warms. I say very carefully as I don't know if the tester kits have a psi relief as a safety in case you are pumping combustion gasses into the system.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I've had 2 slow leaks on my '03 through the years.

First was head gasket with a slow leak to the outside of the block. Leak was at the back of the passenger side. Slow leak that only happened when the motor cooled after driving. Took a long time to find. There is a TSB on the gasket issue causing the corrosion and leak.

Second was a slow leak where the heater hose connected to the fitting at the firewall. Only was an issue when weather was cold (summer would lose no coolant but in winter would drop). Replaced the hose connector and problem fixed.

Good luck.