Thread: Water in pan after a week of sitting with no prior issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More variables. Where is the oil cooler plumbed?

That leaves only a cylinder leak-down test. Compression tests are helpful for other things, but essentially useless for identifying small cylinder leaks.

I doubt you'll find a head gasket failure, on this one. More likely, cylinder head or block crack.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    More variables. Where is the oil cooler plumbed?

That leaves only a cylinder leak-down test. Compression tests are helpful for other things, but essentially useless for identifying small cylinder leaks.

I doubt you'll find a head gasket failure, on this one. More likely, cylinder head or block crack.
    So this symptom randomly appeared. I have been working on this truck for 6 months and it randomly appeared over last couple weeks. Why would the head or block crack now? It sat in a field for 10 years and when I got the truck the radiator was plum full of coolant. I did pull 8 swollen glow plugs out of the head recently.

I ran the truck for an 30-45 minutes and the oil fill cap off. I was periodically checking and the water/oil milkshake mixture slowly disappeared. This was a few hours ago and now the engine has cooled down and there appears to be no water / oil mixture visible to the eye on the dip stick. There is still some water in the engine, I found some condensation on the oil filler cap which I placed back on the oil fill tube a 10 minutes after shutting off the engine. I just check just the oil fill cap a few minutes ago (that is when I found the condensation)