Thread: DPF an issue or not?

Default DPF an issue or not?

Gents,

Had a 2002 Duramax that was just fine....sold it when I sold the horses....now looking at a new 2500 crew cab long box...was thinking about another Dmax but I talked to the lead mechanic at the dealership and he just about steered me away from the DMAX because of the DPF. Said if you drive it around town the DPF doesn't really get hot enough to regen properly and you can then get it clogged and it goes into limp mode. Nothing to do but limp to the dealer.

So, it anyone else having any trouble with the DPF? Is this guy right or just full of baloney?

I asked him how many DMAX's he has had DPF trouble with and he got real evasive and said "well, they only beneout for 6 months."

Your thoughts please....

Thanks,

Slim Wallet
    2008 DMAX, 4wd, LB, CC
    SRW, 265/70/17

If you never take it out of the city and idle constantly it's possible to have a problem.

BUT the system warns you when it starting to load up and tells you it time to regenerate. If you ignore the warnings eventually you may have to take it in for a service regen.

It only takes 30 mins to regenerate and the owners manual tells you how to drive to clean it properly.

DPF's are on all the new diesels so it's not like you can avoid one by switching brands.

Obviously I am a retard but what is a DPF? Is this the new emissions box on all 2007 and new diesels?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Obviously I am a retard but what is a DPF? Is this the new emissions box on all 2007 and new diesels?
    DPF = Diesel [exhaust] Particulate Filter

Mandated for production on-highway, and some off-highway and stationary, Diesel platforms, beginning January 1, 2007 (applies to GM 2007.5+ M/Y). Early 2007 vehicles manufactured before January 1, 2007 are not mandated.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I am learning as well. Don't feel like the lone ranger

Mav, can off road diesel be run in these vehicles equipped with DPF ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    DPF = Diesel [exhaust] Particulate Filter

Mandated for production on-highway, and some off-highway and stationary, Diesel platforms, beginning January 1, 2007 (applies to GM 2007.5+ M/Y). Early 2007 vehicles manufactured before January 1, 2007 are not mandated.

Off road Diesel should be the same (15ppm) as road fuel. Heating oil may still be higher is sulphur and will damage the DPF. Around here no one is supposed to deliver heating oil anywhere except tanks connected to heating systems. All ag deliveries and off road is just road fuel with red dye.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Default Hmmm.....No issue?

Gents,

Seems like no one visiting here has had or knows of a problem with the DPF.......?

Slim
    2008 DMAX, 4wd, LB, CC
    SRW, 265/70/17

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SlimWallet View Post
    Gents,

Seems like no one visiting here has had or knows of a problem with the DPF.......?

Slim
    Looks that way. Good luck, if you get one.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I know a guy that works for a gas company and goes to drilling rigs. He says they ( LMM Engines) dont like to idle. He had to limp home. I guess this happened after it idled for a while to keep the A/C cold in the truck on an Arkansas summer and since it idles alot while doing his paperwork, this has been a problem for clogging the DPF.
    2006 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 LBZ, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, Bullydog triple dog usually on performance.
    I am Not a Hillbilly. I'm an Ozark American

I have an LMM with 24k miles. I don't do much city driving. The DPF is invisible to daily operations. If you listen and know what you hear you can tell when it does an active regen. There is a new (May-Jun) ECM update which changes the regen cycles that appears to make it less noticeable. My fuel mileage is consistently 17.7 to 18.4 with some time on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by jharden1 View Post
    I have an LMM with 24k miles. I don't do much city driving. The DPF is invisible to daily operations. If you listen and know what you hear you can tell when it does an active regen. There is a new (May-Jun) ECM update which changes the regen cycles that appears to make it less noticeable. My fuel mileage is consistently 17.7 to 18.4 with some time on the motor.
    I`m still questioning this DPF but mine is still on.
    I have installed the aFe pro-7 OEM #71-10101 air filter and just recently removed the restricted muffler cost $100Attachment 897

Muffler Delete 07.5 GMC LMM.jpg. I`m just waiting out till the next regin to see what takes place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by D_R_C; 09-20-2008 at 14:36.
    2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 BLACK SRW C.C. 4X4 LMM/Allison,long bed,Loaded,Westach EGT/Boost pass side, Edge Insight CTS EGT driverside, DIY stock airbox mod, aFe proguard 7 OEM airfilter. Back-up sensors + Back-up camera tied into the navagation screen, Redi Lift leveling kit, Cognito UCA's, Pitman Idler arm support, AMP Power steps, Firestone Air bags with controller in cab.

Default Thanks.....bought a Sierra yesterday

Gents,

Thanks for the comments.... drove a 6.0 3/4 and decided it would not have the oomph to handle my anticipated loads and ended up with a 2500 CC Long Box.

We'll see how it goes....

Headed for an Alaskan trip next summer...Lord willing and the creek don't rise...

Slim
    2008 DMAX, 4wd, LB, CC
    SRW, 265/70/17

Take the truck out onto the freeway a couple times a month, or more often if you're experiencing any sort of problem with a limp regeneration.

For those who are considering a new DPF equipped truck for town driving, I might think about a 2006 or earlier truck.

For those who plan to use their truck for a mix of driving that includes some freeway and some towing, there shouldn't be a problem.

For those who mostly tow, the DPF should never be a problem - for the life of the DPF.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    For those who mostly tow, the DPF should never be a problem - for the life of the DPF.

Jim
    For most I would have to think the wish is for a short dpf life.
    2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 BLACK SRW C.C. 4X4 LMM/Allison,long bed,Loaded,Westach EGT/Boost pass side, Edge Insight CTS EGT driverside, DIY stock airbox mod, aFe proguard 7 OEM airfilter. Back-up sensors + Back-up camera tied into the navagation screen, Redi Lift leveling kit, Cognito UCA's, Pitman Idler arm support, AMP Power steps, Firestone Air bags with controller in cab.

The new trucks come with a 5 year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, which includes the various emissions control components. The warranty for the emissions control equipment could be longer. In reality, new truck owners are only risking a possible inconvenience if the DPF were to cause problems.

Jim

I've yet to see a single problem w/ any LMM in my shop in the past 4 moths. I had one tranny problem behind one and thats it.
    ULSD is max 15ppm and LSD is 500ppm max. Regular low sulfer is still out there and can damage DPFs as can sulpher additives.

I appologize up front for the digression, but the irony of this is just too much to me to let go.

The environmental nazis are forcing us to collect inert carbon and expend extra fuel to convert it into carbon dioxide so it can be released into the atmosphere.

Much better to disable the regen cycle, peroidically vacuum the contents out into a plastic bag and ship it to AlGore. That is, after all, what he wants, right? Carbon that would have been carbon dioxide, locked in an inert state...

Where do I go for my Nobel prize?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I appologize up front for the digression, but the irony of this is just too much to me to let go.

The environmental nazis are forcing us to collect inert carbon and expend extra fuel to convert it into carbon dioxide so it can be released into the atmosphere.

Much better to disable the regen cycle, peroidically vacuum the contents out into a plastic bag and ship it to AlGore. That is, after all, what he wants, right? Carbon that would have been carbon dioxide, locked in an inert state...

Where do I go for my Nobel prize?
    Never made much sense to me, either. Soot is a particulate (the "P" in DPF). If left alone, it will fall to the ground, where it came from. It isn't toxic. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could eat the stuff (in reasonable amounts, of course). It stinks, and it's ugly (not to me, but to some), no doubt.

Instead, some Poindexter at the EPA thinks making it "go away", is a better solution. Why just let it fall to the ground, when we can send it into the atmosphere as a gas? It isn't "ugly" up there, and you won't smell it. And, while we're at it, let's throw some more in the mix to go with it. Let's increase the hydrocarbons consumed for miles traveled. That's the way! Yeah!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I'm not really liking DPFs, but inhaling soot isn't that great either. Twice I've been admitted to hospitals for acute respitory infectons requiring my lungs be drained by tubes and antibiotics administered by IV due to the effects of inhaling too much. It was pretty much the sickest I've been in my entire life. I'm no tree hugger but soot can do harm if inhaled. With that said most people would never be in an enviroment that would expose them to the amounts I have either. Good ventilation systems in all shops is a must that i now understand.