Thread: Engine Identification

Default Engine Identification

OK I bought a used military engine # 4022660 I have been told this is a red block engine I know its a 6.2.

If so what is a red block engine are they special?

Is this an engine that I could rebuild to 6.5 specs with 6.5 heads and intake?

Inquiring mind wants to know, LOL!
    1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Diesel mostly stock 234,000 miles. Changed the water pump to HO WP, deleted the vacuum pump and added a mechanical wastegate controller made by me with info from others on the forum.

Hi

The first 6.2 engines were painted RED (1982)

If there are no cracks in the main webs and the decks are in good shape then you can build it.

Be aware you should not bore the cylinders beyond .030" oversize

You can add a mechanical 6.5 injection pump and an aftermarket turbo system like BANKS OR OTHERS and have a sweet unit.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

It's very highly unlikely it's actually a "red block". They were unique only to the 1982 M/Y, and just as unlikely a "used military engine" is a 36 year old original. Anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to find a "military" engine with the original red paint from covers to pan.

As far as using it for a 6.5L build, simply no. It's a 6.2L engine. You can bolt on all the 6.5L stuff, but you'll end with no more than what you start, with the same limitations of any 6.2L short block. The piston crowns aren't anodized/coated, so combustion temps are limited to that of the N/A 6.2L.

That aside, if it's otherwise healthy, there's no reason it wouldn't be a good block for a 6.2L build.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsimpson View Post
    OK I bought a used military engine # 4022660 I have been told this is a red block engine I know its a 6.2.

If so what is a red block engine are they special?
    Legend has it that the 1982 (first year production of the 6.2L) blocks had a higher nickel content than following years. This was the only year the blocks were painted red. No one has been able to verify this information, however. It does appear that 1982 6.2L blocks have a lower failure rate, but it could also be that it was related to being the lowest power output version as well.

I don't know if military blocks were painted red for 1982, it may have been only the civilian models. I really have no idea.

There should be a date stamped on the back of the block if it is, in fact, an early block. I know my spare 1982 and 1983 blocks have the actual date stamped into them, instead of just date codes. My 1982 block I used in my old 6.2L project was actually manufactured in 1981.

As far as boring out a 6.2L block to 6.5L dimensions, it is also reported that 6.5L blocks have thicker cylinder walls for the larger bore. However, I know of at least one early 6.2L block that was successfully bored to use stock 6.5L pistons. Again, it is not recommended. I have not been able to verify that the 6.5L blocks have thicker cylinder walls, though. It could be that a 6.5L is just a bored out 6.2L. The "599" 6.2L blocks used in 1992 and 1993 were bored to both 6.2L and 6.5L dimensions during the transition years from one to the next.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Default Block

It says 86 on the valve cover tag, also these engines make 165 HP and 330 ft lbs of torque as I have read that the military engines were higher rated.

What makes them make that kind of power with them naturally aspirated?
    1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Diesel mostly stock 234,000 miles. Changed the water pump to HO WP, deleted the vacuum pump and added a mechanical wastegate controller made by me with info from others on the forum.