Thread: 1993 GMC 6.2L: Racor Filter Swap-in: return line?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1993 GMC 6.2L: Racor Filter Swap-in: return line?

I've got a 1993 GMC G3500 van with the 6.2L and am about to swap out the old leaking Stanadyne 80 with a Racor. My filter is mounted on the upper face of the engine towards the cabin. I've got the Stany filter and base off and now have 3 fuel lines. The in and out lines are obvious but what's the 3rd one for...return? What do you guys do with the return line? Thanks.

Arrow

The return is NOT associated with the fuel manager/filter. There should be 4 lines in/out of it: Bleed (top, external with a thumbscrew valve), fuel in, fuel out, and a water drain (lower, external with a thumbscrew valve). The van configuration may be different in orientation, but the fuel manager is the same.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The return is NOT associated with the fuel manager/filter. There should be 4 lines in/out of it: Bleed (top, external with a thumbscrew valve), fuel in, fuel out, and a water drain (lower, external with a thumbscrew valve). The van configuration may be different in orientation, but the fuel manager is the same.
    Thanks, Dmax. I should have wrote my post better, and I apologize. What I was really asking was about the lower-most line on the bottom-left coming out that has a hose on it. I guess that's the water drain though there is no screw for it. The only screw I have on the housing is the top-most plastic one for the bleed port out the top-left side. Now I can get back to hopefully getting this done today. Thanks again.

Arrow

Yes, that is the water drain. The line attached should either disappear below and dump to atmosphere, or lead to another valve (not sure about the 93 van). The "normal" FM80's will have a plastic valve, like the top bleeder, on the side, at the same corner as the drain nipple. The 93 6.5's (FM100) have a drain hose leading to the front of the engine, with a needle valve located there. Yours may be a hybrid, of sorts. Follow the drain line, to be sure. Something stops the flow, either at the fuel manager, or along the line somewhere. Accessibility in the van engine compartment may have a play in it. GM considers water drain opening a regular maintenance step during normal periodic service, so accessibility would have been considered.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks again, Dmax! Now I gotta figure where in Hades I'm gonna fit this Racor 445. Nothin's ever easy.

This is where I put my racor on my '89 Suburban:

'89 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4. 6.2L > Turbo400 > 4.10 open difs > 35" MTR's