Thread: KD 4-5" Install Question

I am in the process of installing 4-5" exhaust. I have the first piece in and am trying to install the crossmember pipe. The flared end of the crossmember pipe is just slightly larger than the end of the other piece and will not slide over. It looks as though to make the crossmember piece clear the crossmember it has to go over the first piece instead of just butting up to it and using 4" clamp to hold in place. Am I right or just seeing things screwy? If it has to slide over then I may have to find a shop that can spread it so it will fit. Any help is appreciated! I tried calling John but he is not in at the moment. Thanks David
    02 GMC 2500HD C/C 4X4 Pewter D/A

I had the same problem on one joint. Had to heat up it up with a torch to get them to slide together.
    2002 GMC 2500; D/A, 4WD, CC, LB, loaded; JK exhaust, headlight harness and Mega Filter, Amsoil Air Filter in modified stock box, SPA 211, Retrax, Line-X, Tough Country Front End Replacemnt and Rear Bumper Replacement, Lucerix Mirrors, Westin Step Bars, 285 75 Yokohama Geolander AT + II\'s on 16 X 8\'s, Jordan Brake Controller

Thumbs up

Yes, it has to slide over it. I just finished my install last night.
    2002 D/A 4x4 Charcoal Gray Crew Cab. 285\'s and lovin it<br />Predator<br />JK 4\" exhaust installed

I just got it on. I had to file the pipe a bit until it finally slid in. A little vaseline jelly (very little) and it's in there. I talked to John shortly after I posted and he filled me in. The pipe was not out of round, just real tight. I appreciate the replies and help!David
    02 GMC 2500HD C/C 4X4 Pewter D/A

Kennedy Guest

Exclamation

Typically, these pipes are quite a precision fit. Rather than over expand them, they are kept close. If you get a ding or a saw burr or anything out of round, they can give grief. A little round file on the ID, flat file on the OD, and peening out any out of round, and they should slide in as DBeener has discovered. This is really not all that common of an occurrence...

I should add that it is often easiest to use my voice mail as I'm on the phone or in the shop a lot lately...

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>