Thread: LB7 Injector Replacement Help

Default LB7 Injector Replacement Help

Currently inwork replacing injectors and all is well until went to remove the one-piece injector fuel return line. This line is held on by a 5mm bolt head at each injector and 1 "banjo" fitting at the upper right corner (passenger side). While trying to loosen each 5mm bolt on this line they keep trying to strip out. Is there a trick or some retaining clip I'm not seeing? Shouldn't these bolt heads simply loosen. This one-piece line has to come off before the individual injectors can be removed. Any ideas please.
    '02 2500HD, LS, Ext Cab, LB, D/A combo, 4x4, Indigo Blue (the good lookin' blue), Graphite Interior/Buckets, just about every option but leather
    MAN ... I LOVE THIS THING!!

Each banjo fitting at each injector uses a double-sided coated aluminum seal - to seal the fitting to the injector, kind of like a brake line fitting. These seals are replaced during reassembly with new ones. The seals may rotate as you loosen the banjo bolts. No big...

Jim

I had one start to strip on me when I did mine. Turns out I just didn't have the 5mm socket all the way down in the hole. Tapped it in w/ a hammer and kept pressure on it while turning and it came out just fine.
    2002 LB7 2500 CC LB 4x4 80k
    6 spd, 3.73, 265's

Smile

Update: Yea I tried the tap method, sometimes more than a tap, both metric and sae allen heads, regular head, ball heads, the works. Ended up using an "easy out" if you're familiar with those, it's a "splined" screw extractor that as you turn in the loosen direction they bite into the screw head and you use a wrench or socket to then finish taking the screrw/bolt out. Usually these are used when a screw head strips out you drill a hole then insert this easy out into the hole and as mentioned it bites into the head and you twist it out. Anyway all 4 on the passenger side were either tighter than they needed to be or the bolts themselves were just a bad/softer head batch. Because I had to use this method on all 4 on the passenger side, everyone of them started to round out before they started to loosen. Got all 4 out messing up the bolt heads of course nobody carrys all 8 eight of these things, had to go to 4 differrent dealers to get 5 of'em. Finally got the passenger side all back together, today will start the drivers side and hope for the best. So far other than that the injector replacement hasn't been to bad, fairly time consuming and lots of stuff getting to them, the article in the DYI section is a great help. And I'm really glad I spent the extra bucks on the special tool that actually removes the injectors, made the 4 so far pretty easy. Wish me luck, it's out to start the drivers side.
    '02 2500HD, LS, Ext Cab, LB, D/A combo, 4x4, Indigo Blue (the good lookin' blue), Graphite Interior/Buckets, just about every option but leather
    MAN ... I LOVE THIS THING!!

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BLUMAX View Post
    .... Wish me luck,
    Good luck...