Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

I love my stupid suburban soo much that I am going to go ahead and dump a pile of cash into a truck that when finished would only sell for the amount of money I'm dumping in!!

I figure before the dust settles it will cost me 7K to do a motor swap...priced it many ways..

1) Buy a new AM Gen engine and just plop it in....7k

2) Haul my old block out, do it totally right (balanced, light weight pistons,rods, heads, cam, lifters etc and so on much machining.......6500 and I still have the old brittle block!

3) Buy another suburban on E-bay 7K and wait for the shoe to drop!

I was going to buy a new car for myself, but we all want the war wagon for going to our other hideaway. Its the only thing that hauls 3 dogs 2 adults 2 kids and all of our crap.

I'm a pathetic dope......

Sidenote:
    Truckie I'm down the road on the Job in Stamford....friends with several of the FDNY brothers. Quite a few came from our department...after 911 we picked up a couple early retirements from the city...Welcome aboard bro!
    95 Suburban 1500 Bone Stock Orig.
    purchased at 103K from first owner
    new alternator/autozone gold @104K
    re-trannyed with shift kit @107.5K
    new Bilsteins all around @ 127K
    Kennedy exhaust @128k ..zoom!
    new lift pump w/OPS bypass @ 130K
    Kennedy FSD cooler @ 135K
    New IP/Injectors/G-plugs @ 137k
    Another autozone alternator and Optima Reds @ 150K
    Another pump and injectors @157K
    New chain and gears @157K
    HO pump single therm setup @157K (will see what happens)
    Head gasket or worse to be determined...164k
    NEW AM General 6.5 installed and running well! @ 164K!!!!!

Here's my 1995 GMC Suburban. We had her on display at the 9th Annual Illinois Renewable Energy and Sustainability Lifestyle Fair in Oregon, Illinois.

Currently with 271,000 miles (81,000 on vegetable oil) AND sporting a new set of SHOES! She's still looking good and hauling BUTT!

Not sure if anyone can give me particular specs on this truck, it is listed a a K1500, but it has 8-lug wheels (I believe a 3/4-ton suspension and a heavy duty towing package.)

The paint and clearcoat on the hood, front fenders and the front of the roof is beginning to peel off and the paint on the back side panels is dulling. But, the only rust on it is along the very botton of the rear doors. So the plan is to get her ready to replace the chipping and failing paintjob with a military style rhino lining (without the grit) face lift.

Here is a shot of the insulated 40-gallon vegetable oil tank.

Even though it's 97 degrees in the shade and the heat keeps pouring out of the vents... I still think this one's a powerhouse!

forbey

Default K1500 veggie Sub

Hi Forbie,
    Your 1500 Suburban has 2500 suspension and brakes due to the heavier engine than the gas 1500 suburban. I think the chassis may be 2500 spec rather than 1500 but am not a 100% sure.
    The only difference that I am aware of is the diff ratio is 3.42 to 1 and the towing capacity spec is lower than the 2500 spec vehicles. Despite this I have found that the 96 K1500 we have is more than capable at hauling way beyond the specified tow capacities if driven approprately . Especially since I installed a 4 inch exhaust system allowing the heat to escape and reduces the number of times the temperature gage red lines.

Our 96 K1500 was purchased in Houston Texas in 2001, shipped over to Scotland across the pond then shipped over to Alberta six years later when we moved to Canada in Jan 2008.
    So I guess we kinda like our Sub too. Mileage is now nearing 220,000 miles.

That's a nice looking truck you have. How about an article on your veggie experiances?

Regards

Jim

We've discussed many times about the draw of forums for the problem trucks, but many times, the owners who don't have any significant problems rarely chime in with the good news stories. This produces a biased perception of the engine and the trucks they're in. Here's a good news I received today:

Thanks Jim, I’d like to ask u a question: background: I have a 1994 Chevy 6.5 td that has about 340,000 miles on the odometer, and have not done any of the upgrades you’ve written about. I have never had any problems with the truck. The turbo and injection pumps were changed about 2 years ago, but all is well, weird right??? I don’t have to drive 300 miles per day for work any more and I wanted to beef up the truck for more power... I don’t ever pull anything, I just like my diesel truck. Al Green
    As bad as we think the DS4 might be, Al reports his truck required just one in 16 years and 340,000 miles...... Al went on to ask about performance upgrades.

Jim

Default Opinion wanted:6.5 Lovers

I've got a 1995 K2500 E/C L/B 4by that I've had for four years now. Its pushing 250k but, I love the thing. Rides like and old buick, and is comfortable.
    Trouble is, it's been left behind a little in the TLC department.
    It is currently looking for new front steering components, new rear brakes, door pins, oil cooler, tail gate fixed, new boards, paint, and to top that all off, now it started to do this surging reving thing, especially on start up(pump?).
    So....spend on this truck or find something else?

P.S. I may shortly be in need of a dually cab & chassis to mount a tow truck wrecker on. Anyone know if I would have to change the rear axle to accombodate the wheels do they fit on this axle?

Just thought I would chime in again.

We are down to just one 6.5 truck at present and still love it.

My experience with these rigs has been wide spread over the years of 93 to present.

Have owned a 93 xtended cab, a 94 dually CC, (2) 94 Burbs a 95 Burb and currently a 95 Dually CC 4x4 (DaHooooley)

The 95 Burb was new when we got it and we had our share of issues back then (Mostly IP, PMD stuff) back before we learned the ins and outs.

Locally I have been involved with several folks and trucks over the years.

The 6.5 seems to be good for around the 200-250K mile point and then head gaskets fail.

This does not mean that some will not go farther, just that this point seems to be a benchmark if you will.

As Jim Mentioned, folks who dont have any issues never frequent FORUMS or Chat Boxes looking for answers.

The exception to this, is of course those of us who are already addicted to the boards and buy and sell rigs like many folks change shirts.

Ran into a fellow the other day that has a 93 Std cab 2500 truck with near 500K on the thing and he told me that all he has done to the truck is just service it regularly.

Would be real treat to tear that engine down and see whats inside.

Myself, I believe that 200K ++ on any factory rig is really not a bad life span.

Its has not been that many years ago that 100K was considered by most to be the end of the road and a rig with that many miles would be really tough to sell.

The last several rigs I have purchased have had way past the 100K mark before I ever owned them.

Just some observations.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Love my '99 Burb! I'm 37 and plan on keeping it 'till I die. Matt at Penninsular put a new Navistar engine in at 138,000 in 2007 as the original was leaking water into the oil from the minute I drove it off the used car lot. The new engine has been great! I have been wanting to upgrade stuff but money is tight. I am putting in a remote FSD with new grey Stanadyne PMD from Accurate Diesel today as the old one quit over the weekend. But that was on the top of the mod list anyway. Next will be 4" exhaust. Then probably a mechanical waste gate. At some point a performance computer. Also I want to add the flex tube for the OPS and fuel filter bleed/gauge tap from pmdcable.com and maybe a few more gauges. I have 180,000 on it now. No rust. Leather interior, heated seats etc. It would be nice to put in an aftermarket stereo with blue tooth and DVD, Nav etc. Maybe even a screen in back for the kids. I absolutely love getting into it every time!

My commuter is also special-a TDI Jetta!

If I could only find a biodiesel pump nearby.
    1999 K2500 Suburban 6.5 190,000
    2007 Navistar engine from Penninsular Engines , Boost & Pyro Gauges @138K.
    Remote DTECH bumper mounted FSD @197K.

Future mods: 4" exhaust, Heath ECU

Other rides

-2004 TDI Jetta-43MPG

Really hard to beat the creature comforts of a late model Burb.

Glad things are all working out for ya.

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I can confirm that it is possible, my truck now has 257000 km on the odometer, and the IP is replaced once.
    Not shure when, but it was early in its life. (way before i got it.)
    i have owned it for 5 years now, and i love it ....

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    We've discussed many times about the draw of forums for the problem trucks, but many times, the owners who don't have any significant problems rarely chime in with the good news stories. This produces a biased perception of the engine and the trucks they're in. Here's a good news I received today:

As bad as we think the DS4 might be, Al reports his truck required just one in 16 years and 340,000 miles...... Al went on to ask about performance upgrades.

Jim
    New sub. 1996 6.5 ls 1500.
    1994 Suburban K2500HD. 6,5 TD 251 000km. sold
    3,5 inch exhaust, no cat.
    Marine injectors. Removed snorkle
    opened intake plenum. 3 gauge pillar. EGT.Turbo.Tranny temp. Fsd Cooler, resistor nr 9.
    Top mounted Air to Air intercooler. Kennedy Turbo master

intercooler is installed.
    look in: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=37313

Looks like a good first post, love my truck. It's a 96 K3500 CC SRW. Traded a 99 K2500 gas suburban for it. Once you start looking there are as many 6.5 in SW Saskatchewan as the others. Plan on keeping it, even if it means a new motor some day. Needs a new paint job and bumpers and that silly sun visor shaved. Love working on it, paitently waiting for my service manual for it. Once it's in shape, time to tweak.....

And by the way, any known (or possible) application for a thermal imaging camera for these rigs? I ride a Kawasaki two stroke triple cylinder bike and it has helped with the carb tuning process. Maybe this should be a new post...

Justin

Over the years I have had the following with a 6.5 in it:

1996 k2500 extended cab long box.
    1998 k1500 extended cab short box.
    1995 "heavy half" suburban (basically same as 3/4 but 3.42 gears instead of 3.73).
    1999 K3500 SRW crew cab long box.
    (Also had a 1992 1/2 extended cab short box with a 6.2 and nv4500)

I would take any one of them right now (the best match for the engine I found to be the 6.5 1/2 ton pickup).

I just traded the '99 for a 2007 lmm duramax in February, and more than once I have wished I had my 6.5 back - I like everything about that engine, and the pickups they are in. I also have a 2000 tahoe that I pulled a new 26 foot travel trailer with, and as I was pulling it home, I kept thinking, "This would be a perfect setup if it had a 6.5 in it." With the 5.3 gas, it was less than perfect. So, nothing specific about what I like about the 6.5, but right now not having a 6.5 is a lot worse than having one ever was.

6.5/6.2 diesels the red headed step child of the diesel truck community,.
    I,ve had 4 trucks now an 88 suburban 6.2 4wd,.sold to a friend who is still driving it it has close to 500kms on it,.i bought a 93 'parts' truck that another friend bought off me and he's driving it, its a 3500 2wd single rear wheel drive truck no options 'cept p/s p/b,.it,s over 500kms, i bought a 4 dr dually ex horse hauler that's fancied up like missy's with oak interior and flares, visor, custom front bumper etc,. i hot rodded the motor after i did head gaskets,. added head studs,. modified a gm8 turbo and put a big chip in the 5068 pump,. it would routinely boost over 26 psi for a year or so,. finally melted a piston,. I bought a 94 extended cab 4x4 for the motor,.($1000) but everything worked including the air,. so i,ve been driving it for 2 yrs now,.its approaching 400kms,.
    and the big dually is going to be getting a P pumped 12v cummins with the 47rh trans,.(i think) unless i come across a late model stiffer block,. then i may re-do a little motor again,.
    the 4x4 has 3:42 gears and seems to be the happiest 6.5 i,ve owned it routinely does 20 mpg (converted to mini gals for you murhicans)

neat little motors ,. i like 'em.

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom 309 View Post
    (converted to mini gals for you murhicans)
    Yeah, but our miles are bigger!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Yeah, but our miles are bigger!
    Totally!

I got my hands on a beat up 1971 Power Wagon W300 ... worked on it a bit and then bought a 96 3500 CC dually. I love it!

There's a lot wrong with it -- hopefully, it will be a parts truck for the next 6.5 I get.

Default 94 burb 302,000

I got into the Chevy Diesel market when we had our 5th kid. We needed a car to haul the family and luggage on vacation and around town. We first went the standard route and bought a 1999 Chysler Town and Country but every car has issues and after nickle and diming, with new transmission, I started looking for something that could haul the gear and have 4wd, etc. My options, excluding vans, were the Excursion and 6.5. My dad did everything he could to talk me out of the 6.5 but it came down to money. I could buy 2-3 mid 90's suburbans for the price of one Excursion and even if I would buy the Excursion it still requires maintenance, not to mention Ford's issues.

So, we bought a 1994 Suburban with a Jasper rebuilt engine and rebuilt tranny with 280,000 miles. I've had this rig for about a year and no issues with the engine. I've had to replace a brake caliper and hydroboost but I expected that with the miles. As others have mentioned, I have issues with overheating Exhaust temps which have slowed me down on the highway but even at 18MPG I figure I'm saving around $500-$700/yr on fuel compared to a gas suburban.

I'm new to the Diesel scene but knowing now, I would have never bought a Town and Country so compared to the mini-van I love the burb and planning on buying a 95, I like the interior better.

As others have mentioned, I plan on doing my own work on the rig, otherwise an engine change or IP change would make these engines unpractical via cost.....that's why you can buy them so cheap. Works great for the bottom feeders of the diesel world.

Here's looking forward to 400,000 miles.

Liked my 98 when I bought it.

Then it cracked a piston crown and left us stranded in a foreign country (usa) with a 35 foot trailer on a mountain pass.

Like turned to dislike.

A $10,000 repair bill turned dislike into hate.

A year later, hate has turned back to like.

I don't use the world "love" with inanimate objects, it cheapens the meaning of that powerful word for me. So like is as good as it gets for the truck.

Like is going to have to be good enough, I've got to keep it for another ten years to get my money back out of it!

Still, I have less in it than 3 times what it would cost for a new DMax...

Ive had mine nearly a month now and Im still leary of it not knowing them as well. Ive owned many vehicles with tbi and vortec 350's and a few 4.3's a few of the 350's making 350,000+miles before selling them and trust them to all ends of the earth....but this 6.5 ive been on edge with driving 200miles a day. Gotta say I love the much better fuel mileage!
    1994 Ext Cab C2500 6.5T, the begginning of my dive into the world of diesels
    3" Straight pipe, sets car alarms off...who woulda thought?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
    i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
    I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick
    Howsabowt some updates as we get towards another year end?

The truck i bought for the motor for the dually has gotten to me too,.
    its a 94 extended cab 4x4,. runs like a champ, i put a 5068 pump on it and it runs and pulls real well,.it's rusting away under me tho,..shame.
    I,ve driven it back and forth between Ontario and Alberta 3 times,. last time pulling a pretty good load,.
    bottom line i just love the old thing,

Still loving 6.5 diesel
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Default Need help with my 6.5

Hello all
    I have 96 dully with a 6.5 turbo. Love the truck and the body style. But I know there has to be some not so expensive upgrades out there that won't break the bank. Where do I start? If any one has done some mods to their 6.5 that improved powered can you share list of tricks. This is my first diesel I want roll this baby out of the garage the right way.

Thanks

Hello

A free flowing 4 inch exhaust system (Several companies offer good kits)

A power chip (Or in your case, the 96 requires an ECM swap)

Depending on the ECM program you choose, a turbo master waste gate controller would be good.

Set max boost to about 12 psi

If your truck does not have the cooling system upgrades (Dual t stat set up and high flow water pump) this is good.

A gauge set (Boost and an exhaust gas temp gauge "pyro" )

The combination of the exhaust and the reprogrammed ECM will give you about all that's easy to reach

There are several vendors that can help.

John Kennedy
    Bill Heath

There are others, but these are two I am familiar with and trust.

Several companies offer larger exhaust systems for these rigs, and the big deal is BIG PIPE and a free flowing muffler.

If your interested in more $$$$$ a turbo upgrade can help some.

Hope this helps

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY