Thread: 6.5L Diesel & Horton EC-450 Electric Fan-Clutch

Arrow 6.5L Diesel & Horton EC-450 Electric Fan-Clutch

Member Dave Rurey sent me a few photos and a description of this adaptation of the Horton EC-450 electric fan-clutch for use on the 6.5L diesel in his motor-home. He wanted me to share with you all.

Read more about the EC-450 by using a Google search for: Horton EC450
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...q=horton+ec450

and: https://www.hortonww.com/on-highway/...600-drive.html

Here is Dave's description and photos showing the installation. Thanks Dave!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to modify the thermostat housing to be able to fit more temperature sensors in the limited area. One sensor is a mechanical temperature gauge the other is to turn the fan on at 205 Deg.

The sensor in the radiator hose is for turning the fans on for the air cond. I also had to make a new fan driveshaft to adapt it to the water pump. The Horton fan-clutch is a wonderful addition and it works great. The DB2 mechanical fuel injection pump is turned up to about 70 Ml/stroke.

Turbocharger I'm using is the Holset HX35, set to produce 15-lbs of boost pressure. I do not have any idea what HP or torque the engine is producing.

The motor-home weighs approximately 15000 lbs, but it will climb the 4th of July grade on I-90 in North Idaho at 55mile/hr. All I can say is it has a lot more power than the 454 gas engine that the 6.5L diesel replaced.

I think one thing that really helps it start at any temperature is the Total Seal piston rings. Compression ratio is 19/1. We took a trip to East Coast that totaled 7100 miles round trip. Fuel economy for the entire trip calculated to 11.6 miles/gal. I realize that these engines may be old news, but if built right they do a fair job. I also had the timing gear and chain cryogenically treated, to keep it from stretching.

That's some pretty good work there Dave! How many miles do you have on this installation?
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Very cool! (No pun intended) I always thought an electric clutch would be an awesome addition. No parasitic drag when switched off, full fan flow when switched on. Could be manually switched on before pulling a large grade or other known heat inducer.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Neat. If an adapter was readily available for our water pumps this would definitely be something I would look at over converting to e-fans.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ View Post
    Neat. If an adapter was readily available for our water pumps this would definitely be something I would look at over converting to e-fans.
    Sounds like a business opportunity for a good 6.5 vendor.