Thread: Suburban Resurrection

Default Suburban Resurrection

Hi All
    Roll back time about 5 yrs...
    Tow in a 1999 Suburban that was loaded to the hilt with a 6.5 diesel engine.
    Turns out that the owner Steve had been nursing this truck up the road from the ferry(160 miles) till he couldn't get it to run much at all.He has no money.Can't pay for the tow job has nobody to get money from.
    I tried to help the guy trouble shoot the Sub,but he would never listen to the tests or the order i would tell him to do them.Anyhow after about 5 days he gives up.This guy was not to bright,and wore on everyone around our place.
    So i offer him a running pickup in trade for signing over the Sub on the condition that he can come and retrieve his Sub,and pay for the truck,towing and storage at that time.
    Back to the future...
    About a year ago my wife gets a call from his son,Steve has died and he understands we have his truck. So she tells his Yes please come and get it and pay the bill while he is here. That was the last thing we heard.
    So i have started the task of seeing if i could get it to run again.So i drug it out of the snowbank and into the shop.Turns out it is in pretty good shape,i assumed it was a rusted piece of crap from a coastal town.
    So far i have repaired,
    the botched fuel pump replacement
    Seal for the fuel filter wasn't installed correctly.
    Fuel shut off cylinder wire was pulled out of the pin connector.
    Was turning it over with 6 glow plugs removed,these are new AC's.Was getting good misting out of the holes,was actually blowing out and wetting things.Right on i thought as i reinstalled the glow plugs it should run.
    Put everything back together,cranked and nothing not even smoke.Pulled the plugs again,same thing lots of fuel spraying out the holes,put the passenger side ones in again and then the drivers side, when it hits me all the fuel that sprayed out has evaporated...Gas
    So my next task is to drain the tank and replace with known good diesel and see if that is the last piece of this mystery.I may pull the soot trap while i have it on my hoist.Then i will try again.
    I may be tooling around in my first diesel Sub before to long.Can't justify keeping it,so after driving it for a while it will get a for sale sign.
    It has a Banks plate on the back door.The down pipe is Banks,and the Cat back part is Banks,but that is all that i can see.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Gas don't work in these oil burners

Seen that trick a time or two.

Neighbor had his Ford Pstroke filled with a full tank of gas

He is stuck along side the road with a dead truck.

Calls me at 9pm

I go take a peek...sniffffffffffffffffffffff the tank

WE towed it home, sucked out the tank and filled with diesel... changed the filter and primed it up.

Took some coaxing but it finally fired off.

We dumped in a gallon of tranny oil to give it some extra lube..

Seems no worse for the wear.

Dumb azz punk at the station was the culprit...

Once you get fresh fuel through to the IP just spin the beast with the plugs out and soon you will get diesel back into the pump.

I would add some tranny oil to the diesel to help lube the IP good.

Just pump out all the gas you can...then add a gallon of tranny oil and then 10 gallons of good diesel.

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

It's alive...
    Drained the tank,was all of 3 gals in it so the fuel gauge need attention.
    Finally fired and run for about 3 sec's.
    Turned out the soot trap was plugged solid,split the pipe and it fired and ran sweet. Filled the shop with soot OMG couldn't see unless you got down to the ground.Opened the doors at each end and waited for the air to clear.
    Now to make it road worthy.Re wire the lift pump,relocate the PMD it is mounted to the top hat,delete the soot trap,check fluids and give the old Sub a Srub.It is filthy but still presentable under the grime.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews