Thread: 2500HD 4X front end rattle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2500HD 4X front end rattle

The dealer has repaired this once before, but the problem has come back and is getting progressively worse. I don't know what was repaired the first time, assuming idler or pitman arm. I still have warranty but want a permanent fix. '03 2500HD 4X D/A w/48K.

Arrow

This customer concern was a lot more common a few years ago, involving the early 2500HD/3500 trucks. While GM initially advised dealer service centers to grease a steering shaft bearing, the best longterm fix involved replacing the upper thrust bearing (#26099860) in the power steering gear assembly E9720.

A search here in this forum will likely yield many more forum threads with additional info.

Jim

Thanks, this will be helpfull next week when the truck goes to the dealer to have this problem repaired; it's still under CNA warranty.

Default Rattle

My 05 has a rattle in the steering. Can't hear it but definately can feel it in the steering wheel. This has been the ONLY! issue with my 05. There had been lots of problems with the steering intermediate shaft - I went to dealer and they told me it had been fixed on 05s. Its a splined shaft that collapses to install and then extends to fit. There was a recall on it according to all the posts on this site. Its only about a 1/2 hr. to R&R and about a $75 part (as best as I can remember) Might want to check this out as well.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel over cracks in road etc.? I can't hear any noise - don't know if others heard any noise.
    2005 Regular cab, LLY Allison, new 7/05

I have a rattle in the front of my 2003, I can't feel it, but I can hear it if I have the window down, and what it is, is the brake pads, I take them out and spread the tin slider bushing things so they fit tighter and that cures it for a couple of weeks, but it keeps coming back, it's almost embarassing, everytime I hit a little bump you can hear it rattle away.
    2003 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4, Bully Dog Dyno Dominator 90 hp, Bully Dog Power Pup 155 hp, Duramaximizer, FASS 150gph fuel pump, Bully Dog Trans, K&N Intake, Bully Dog 4\" dual exhaust, Flex-A-Lite electric replacement fans.

Angry

My '02 has had this ratte since day one. I've had the truck in three times and to this day it still rattles. First they didn't have an answer, second time they gave me the lube job, and third they installed the new shaft. It's been amost a year since that, and it's rattling again. I am way out side my three year warranty but I was told to bring it back if I have a problem again. more or less this repair ticket remains unsolved. The kicker is I only have 22,000 miles to this date.

Shopman426,
    Mike.
    <B>2002 GMC SLT</B> Summit White 4x4 Longbox Crewcab 2500HD.<BR>Duramax 6.6L and Allison 1000 Series 5 Speed Auto.<BR>All the Bells and Whistles right down to the heated seats.<P><B>ACCESSORIES</B><BR><LI>Cooper 265x75 16R Tires.<BR><LI>16x8 Typhoon Weld Wheels with aluminum lug covers.<BR><LI>Bars cranked up for 265\'s.<BR><LI>GT Classic Hard Tonneau Cover by Gem Top.<BR><LI>Airlift air bags.<BR><LI>DTA Corp. running boards.<BR><LI>KaydenCo mudflaps front and rear.<BR><LI>Super Custom Camper Mounts.(OK,Home made)<BR><LI>Catch All mats front and rear.<BR>[/list]<P><B>ACCESSORIES to be added</B