Thread: Caterpillar

I have notice that Chev/GMC large trucks come equipted with Cat. 3126/3116 motors.
    My question is, would this engine work in a Chev. 1987 1-ton? Has anyone out there seem or know of this engine swap.
    Thanks Dan

While it's a nice thought. In all practical reality the 3116/3126 is just to dang heavy. 1295 lbs for the long block. You're looking at some serious suspension beefing. If you were just set on a Caterpillar motor then might I steer you towards a 3208. I've seen a few GM trucks with a 3208 under the hood. Comparable size and weight to what was already there.

If you're just looking for a diesel to put in there. I'd suggest a 5.9 Cummins. Mechanically controlled would be easier to install. If you do decide to go with a 31X6 CAT motor then might I sway you towards a 3116. Reason? It's a purely mechanical engine, and an early 3126 2 valve is mechanical too. If you step up to a 3126B 3 valve then it's really going to get hairy under there.
    It\'s a Diesel world

Not too much suspension beefing... dry weight of my engine is 1000 lbs...
    see sig
    1984 4x4 3/4 Ton Chevy<br />6BD1T Isuzu Turbo Diesel<br />(Direct injected 5.8L I6)<br />(17:1 comp. ratio, roller lifters, all replaceable valve guides, seats, etc, inline bosch-type injection pump, etc, etc.)<br />Allison Automatic- AT542 <br />NP208 Transfer case<br />Aluminum rims, 4\" lift, 33\" tires, 3.21 diff ratio with full floater 14 bolt in back.<br />Soon to have Holset HX-35/12 turbo and 37\"x13\"x2\" core intercooler...<br />(Currently Garrett T04E10 turbo and home made intercooler taking the place of my grill)<br />Pyro, boost, mechanical oil and fuel pressure gauges<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/turbokid100\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/turbokid100</a>

Hey, thanks guys for the information. That Isuzu turbo sounds like what I'm looking for. Tell me more. What's the horse power and how does it pull?
    Thanks Dan

mdapperdan- Current horsepower is about 200... That can be remedied very easily with a bigger turbo and turning up the fuel... This thing has huge injectors and a big bosch/zexel pump similar to that on the '94- '98 cummins.
    It pulls great, about the biggest thing I've pulled so far (got about 5,000 miles since repower) has been a trailer with a jeep and a fourwheeler and a bunch of hunting gear. It pulled a local here around here called "nine mile hill" (6% grade) at 50 mph. (Can't go any faster anyways because of curves, and egt was also the limiting factor)
    It pulls it a lot better than the 6.2 that used to be in the truck... it would only do 25 with two fourwheelers. (No jeep.) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    So, in other words, it pulls good.
    The B series isuzu is one of the most popular isuzu motors ever... something like 2.4 million (or was it billion?) engines made since it's introduction in 1976. In I believe 1994 it was updated from a the BD series to the BG series, with the main difference being 6.5 liters displacement instead of 5.8 liters. You can still get parts for this engine at your local gm medium duty or isuzu medium duty dealer. (They put these engines in the gm's, also.) I personally know of several of these engines with over 300,000 miles on them and still running strong. One, which has a flatbed and hauls skidsteers and such, has 380,000 completely trouble free miles.
    As to where to find them... The larger isuzu and gm medium duty cab-over trucks had them pre '94... Should be around $3500 to $4500, altough it isd possible to find them cheaper... (Mine was $1500.) The smaller trucks had and have the smaller 4BD1T, which is also a good engine, but only 3.9 liters...
    Then all that you have to find is an allison...
    I just got done regearing to 3.21 rearend ratio... I can now cruise at 2400 rpm at 75... First gear is 3.45 as opposed to 2.48 for the turbo 400, so i still retain a lower than stock overall first gear. (3.45 x 3.21=11.0745, 2.48 x 4.10 = 10.168)
    Anyways, sorry for being so long winded...
    Any questions?
    1984 4x4 3/4 Ton Chevy<br />6BD1T Isuzu Turbo Diesel<br />(Direct injected 5.8L I6)<br />(17:1 comp. ratio, roller lifters, all replaceable valve guides, seats, etc, inline bosch-type injection pump, etc, etc.)<br />Allison Automatic- AT542 <br />NP208 Transfer case<br />Aluminum rims, 4\" lift, 33\" tires, 3.21 diff ratio with full floater 14 bolt in back.<br />Soon to have Holset HX-35/12 turbo and 37\"x13\"x2\" core intercooler...<br />(Currently Garrett T04E10 turbo and home made intercooler taking the place of my grill)<br />Pyro, boost, mechanical oil and fuel pressure gauges<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/turbokid100\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/turbokid100</a>