Thread: Allison and Snow Plowing

Cool

Last week here in NJ we got around 8-10" of the white stuff. I spent 9 hrs in a mall parking lot plowing. After there I went on to clear around 15 driveways and other parking lots. I ran the trans in T/H figuring it would alleviate a lot of excess shifting. The whole time it worked flawless ( except for the dent in the driver's crew cab door ).

I took off the plow and hooked up a trailer (7000 lbs) to make a 120 mile trip. The whole trip the trans acted stupid. It would downshift at the drop of a hat, refuse to upshift, poor fuel economy, etc. I first was thinking that I was in the begining of NSBU failure since Sat. morning I had the SES light up on me. Checked it with a Tech II and found the Fuel temp code so I cleared it( truck was plugged in a lot in the past few days). It is back to normal now and I was wondering what experiences was everyone else out there having in this situation?

John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!

Hey John. We also got a bit of that storm here in PA (about 7"). I plowed for about 18 hrs and also ran it in T/H. We plow a rather large hospital (the whole property is parking lots), but they have a few main roads accessing the hospital that we are responsible for also. Sometimes the truck is plowing small lots (forward...reverse...forward...reverse..etc.), and others times just cruising around in drive plowing the roads. I also noticed the tranny would act a bit funny once plowing out on the roads (late shifting, hard shifting). Funny thing is, when I ran it the next day (empty and not in T/H), it (truck and transmission) felt like it ran better than it has in awhile. Could be just me though.

Josh
    \'02 2500HD D/A CC/LB 4X4<br />Autometer EGT (Pre & Post Turbo)/Boost Guages<br />Hot Juice-Predator-Banks Monster Exhaust-Stanadyne Lift Pump-Mega<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/bigsmithers\" target=\"_blank\">Pictures</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:kussbrostenter@aol.com\">kussbrosten ter@aol.com</a>

Just a guess? Probably caused the Alli to "learn" some new habits..... adjusting to the snow plowing? With only 7,000# behind you, just use the non-tow/haul position. I often forget to set T/H with my 8,000# fifth wheel and it doesn't seem to matter much except for no grade braking below 4th gear.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD EC SB 4x4 D/A, Jordan 2020 Brake Controller,<br />Transfer Flow 45 Gal., Reese 16k FW hitch, 2001 Sunnybrook 27RKFS FW