Thread: Looking for experience... tire question

Default Looking for experience... tire question

Hey folks, just picked up a cherry '94 C2500 Suburban with the 6.5. Lovin the Burb, but it needs tires.

Now the funny conundrum is that I am a tire engineer... I fully understand tire load dynamics, and that merely asking this question will anger some folks with this simple question ... but.

Has anyone ran a P245 or P265 on their 2wd 6.5 Suburban, and if so how was the ride? Squirmy at all?

Only asking for ride characteristics please.

Thanks in advance.

Arrow

I've never done that on my personal vehicles, but have a couple experiences, one personal, and the other from a family member.

Wife's uncle had a (95-ish) 2500 Suburban, relatively new and needed the first replacement of tires. The tire shop installed the wrong tires, P-metrics, instead of the LT load range E tires it was supposed to have. He said it was like driving an old Cadillac, compared to the firm ride before.

Back in the early 90's, my work vehicle was a 1989 Chevy K2500 (Sheriff's Office patrol truck). Motor pool must have got a big break on a load of tires, and replaced them all (not just mine) with C rated tires, same size, same brand (Goodyear Wrangler), just not the E rated tires. The "correct" tires were not available, and wouldn't be for some time, due to contract purchases. That was a LOOOONG 6 months. 5 or 6 sets of tires, when it should have been 2 or 3, according to previous (and later) trends. Dangerous as all heck on the winding, steep mountain roads (my "beat"). If I had to be in a "hurry", I couldn't, and it was fortunate I didn't during that time. That was nearly 20 years ago, but I doubt it would be any different today.

That said, P tires would not be a good idea on a heavy vehicle, IMO.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Excellent info. Thank you very much.

Well, I'm running P265's on my 1990 Suburban 4x4 with the heavy Cummins up front. The reason why is because I bought a set of nice wheels that came with these tires. I figured that I would wear these tires out before installing new proper heavy duty tires. These tires definitely ride softer but handling is compromised. I have to compensate by driving around curves at a slower speed. However, most of our roads where I live in Texas are straight so it's not so much of an issue. That said, once these tires wear out, I'll be installing a set of 10 ply tires.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear