Thread: Fluidampr coming out with a 6.5 Diesel damper

Cowracer Guest

Great News.

Just found out that Fluidampr is developing a damper for our beloved 6.5 diesel.

Should be out March or April next year.

Tim

restoguy Guest

Sssswwweeeeeeeettttt!!! Just in time for my quad turbo-NOS-propane-H2O/Alky-double injector-stroker motor. Or my bone stocker, I can't remember which.

john8662 Guest

I seem to remember reading this elsewhere too.

Great news! I'll be ready to test one.

My next concern will be whether they will take the time to make the shaft a little longer on the balancer so that they will have one for the 6.2 as well. Might as well, since they're pretty much the same engine and the development will be there. I'm going to go through the same request routine that worked for getting em to develop time to the 6.5 balancer and ask for a 6.2 balancer.

Cowracer Guest

any news on the wounded "Cat" 6.5?

Tim

john8662 Guest

Hey Tim,

Well, I have pulled the kitty out and apart, but I'm finding some things that don't add up. So, I'll let the "cat" out of the bag when I know more.

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Howdy
    What are the main Bennifits to a fluidamper? I understand that they don't have to harmonically tuned but are there anything else?
    L8r
    Conley

MTTwister Guest

Dvldog from what I've read over on the Mopar site - I think there's a problem with them when It's really cold. The fluid doesn't distribute as quickly as in warmer climes, tends to make vibrations worse. Could be a great idea for Phoenix, tho".

LOL, glad i got my ATI unit about 6 months ago. I guess having a childhood friend that owns ATI transmissions comes in handy once in awile.

Twister - It's not the climate you should be concerned about. I've run Fluidampr on every Gas Race Engine I've ever built with success. I live in the Northeast. Raced 'em in ~40* weather.

Rumor has it you should warm it up before you hammer it. Regardless of what balancer you run, warming it is the recommended practice. Not just the balancer.

ATI makes a nice product too. You just have to 'Rebuild' it every few years.
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

dieseldummy Guest

Hasn't the Fluidamper been a promised thing for quite some time now. IIRC someone mentioned it better than a yr ago...

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by dieseldummy:
    Hasn't the Fluidamper been a promised thing for quite some time now. IIRC someone mentioned it better than a yr ago...
    Yep, came up before & it would be a nice upgrade well worth the time and expense.

Cowracer Guest

Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
    Howdy
    What are the main Bennifits to a fluidamper? I understand that they don't have to harmonically tuned but are there anything else?
    L8r
    Conley
    Conley

They dont really wear out. They are also better at damping high order harmonics than the rubber kind.

Tim

Marty Lau Guest

Billy;

I hate to break this too you but.........
    there is BIG difference between 40 degrees above zero and -40 degrees below zero which MTTwister and I see just about every winter.
    bbbrrrrrr

Agreed.

I've spun them over 7500rpm in that weather.

Give it your regular warm-up routine and you will Never have trouble with it. Even at Redline ~3500-4000??
    Billy
    '97 CC Dually INTERCOOLED 6.5 - Sold
    '06 Extended Cab/Long Bed LBZ

Marty Lau Guest

Originally posted by Billman:
    Agreed.

I've spun them over 7500rpm in that weather.

Give it your regular warm-up routine and you will Never have trouble with it. Even at Redline ~3500-4000??
    I guess that make sense just have to be sure to have a good warm up when it's that cold.

ogrice Guest

Can't wait till it hits the shelf. I'm in need to replace the rubber insert harmonic damper anyway.

Was reading through Diesel Progress and there was a news item on Fluidampr releasing a new line of dampers for diesels including Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. However, it looks like it will just be for the Duramax...

http://www.vibratechtvd.com/appchart_all.htm
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii
    Was reading through Diesel Progress and there was a news item on Fluidampr releasing a new line of dampers for diesels including Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. However, it looks like it will just be for the Duramax...

http://www.vibratechtvd.com/appchart_all.htm
    I got the word straight from the fluidampr marketing cheif that they are indeed developing one for the chevy/detroit 6.5

I'll try to contact him and see where they are on it.

Tim
    Ford Owner.

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay