Thread: Installing new glow plugs

Default Installing new glow plugs

I have never put glow plugs in, is there anything particularly tricky I should know, I have a 1997 K1500 6.5 (S) model and I ordered the set Kennedy has on sale.

I like ti use dielectric grease on the threads, plus the terminals to prevent rust. Some use anti-seize, but I find dielectric to last longer especially with the heat.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Alldata shows that I need a glowplug socket to replace the glowplugs. They refer to the part number as "J 41515-A Glow Plug Socket" Is there anything special about this socket or will a deep well socket of the appropriate fit work? Do I have to take any parts off such as the turbo or starter? Thanks in advance

Arrow

Nope. Just a deep socket, or box end wrench where the socket doesn't fit.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hello CCC and welcome.

Last week I put in 7 of the 8 Kennedy Glow Plugs I purchased. They seem to be a great product and I believe it is a 10mm deep well that I used to remove the old and install the new.

The reason I say 7 of the 8 is because the entire pass side is a challenge and there is one glow plug behind the down pipe which is especially tricky. I was advised to take the inner fender out of the pass side to make removal and replacement easier...this is good advice and allowed me to get right in after the plugs with a straight shot.

I think I will be able to get the last plug with a swivel/extension setup but have not been able to work on it yet so I cannot be sure. I highly recommend removing the inner fender for this operation it makes the difficult pass side plugs much easier.
    1997 GMC 2500 6.5 4 x 4
    Kennedy Quick Heat Glows
    Stanadyne "bullet proof" PMD

Quote Originally Posted by Ms54Coupe View Post
    The reason I say 7 of the 8 is because the entire pass side is a challenge and there is one glow plug behind the down pipe which is especially tricky. I was advised to take the inner fender out of the pass side to make removal and replacement easier...this is good advice and allowed me to get right in after the plugs with a straight shot.

I think I will be able to get the last plug with a swivel/extension setup but have not been able to work on it yet so I cannot be sure. I highly recommend removing the inner fender for this operation it makes the difficult pass side plugs much easier.

very good advice. you could try to get at it without removing anything, but you will probably spend the same amount of time as if you removed it, and end up with more abrasions.....
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Keep a short 6" piece of vacuum hose to fit over the spade connectors to use as a means for threading the glowplugs in and also to back them out. It allows you to feel the plugs thread when starting.
    Did all mine on pass side through wheel well with dust shield removed including the one hidden by the turbo did the back one on my back. also removed the heat shield tubes,made things real easy. 45 mins.
    Good Luck Dave
    Last edited by DaveNY; 01-26-2011 at 18:56. Reason: incomplete
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

My trick was to hole saw a hole in the inner fender in a location so a very long 3/8" ext could reach. I stand outside the fender to reach it now. Use a solid plastic gromet to fill the hole when not in use.
    Leroy
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Thanks to all who helped with the glow plug change out, I put 7 of 8 in and may or may not put the 8th in. The plugs that came out were very wet with fuel. When I buttoned the truck up and tried to start it, it didn’t start. I tried several cycles but all I got was a lot of white smoke. I then let the truck sit for a while and thought about it. I got a code P0380 which my reader tells me is “Glow Plug/Htr malfunction CKT A.” I didn’t know what that meant but it sounded like there would be a CKT B, so considering there are two wires coming off the glow plug relay, I checked them both to see if they were connected tightly, and then checked the grounds. I then pulled a connector off a glow plug on the passenger side, hooked the positive connection of a tester to it and the ground of the circuit tester I hooked to the negative on the battery. I then turned on the key and got a voltage reading of about 10.5 volts for 9 seconds. I did the same test on the drivers side and got the same reading. After I put everything up, I tried the truck again and it fired right up. Why? I drove the truck for about an hour and then turned it off and started it three or four times in about a 15 minute period. I’m glad it’s running but why wouldn’t it have started the first time? Would cycling the glow plugs have anything to do with it (the temp is about 34 degrees, the truck was not plugged in) or do I maybe have short in the harness? By the way, thanks to John Kennedy for the quick heat plugs they not only work a lot better than the ones I took out, I had them in two days!
    CCC
    _______

1997 K1500 6.5 (S) 4X4
    1976 Pete 359
    1958 Dodge Powerwagon 4X4
    1986 Am Gen M925 5Ton 6x6

Can anyone tell me what P0380, “Glow Plug/Htr malfunction CKT A.” means?
    CCC
    _______

1997 K1500 6.5 (S) 4X4
    1976 Pete 359

Arrow

P0380 means what it says, except the "heater" part (the 6.5L doesn't have an intake heater). One or more failed glow plugs, or a failed glow plug controller/relay is most common. If all the plugs check out, look to a poor connection or failed relay. Any significant current draw variation will cause the code. The PCM monitors line voltage during the glow cycle, and will complain if the value is out of spec. This could also be caused by marginal battery health, or poor connections.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks DmaxMaverick, I changed out the glow plug controller. I took the old controller apart and found a burn spot on the coil that is part of the electromagnet, I suppose it is shorting out. I found it was working sometimes and other times it didn't. With the replaced glow plug controller ($10 at the bone yard) and the new quick heat glow pluggs from Kennedy, the truck started with the outside temp at 6 degrees without a block heater! This truck NEVER started below 20 degrees before. Thanks to everyone for all the help, I even got the four wheel drive working. Life is good.
    CCC
    _______

1997 K1500 6.5 (S) 4X4
    1976 Pete 359

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

CCC it's good your Truck is running better. When every thing works life is good, when it don't it's a PITA.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81