Thread: 2007 Tahoe LBZ?

Default 2007 Tahoe LBZ?

Having learned that donor and recipient vehicles of the same year make for easier conversions, I was wondering- 1) How complicated is it to put a LBZ from a 2006 or 2007 Classic into a 2007 New Gen Tahoe/Yukon. 2) If the vehicle would be used mainly as commuter, rarely towing, can the stock trans be used or is the Allison a must?

I would think the conversion would be very complicated with all the electronics involved. But maybe it's all plug and play and not as bad as I think???

If you're going to go to all the trouble to install the Duramax engine, I would for sure install the Allison transmission. You don't want to have a weak link in your powertrain.

Anyways, I hope that you end up doing the conversion. It would be a unique vehicle. However, if it's too complicated, you could always do the Cummins Tahoe conversion like what I've got.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Thanks for the input, EDAHALL. I've heard that the electronics arent too bad if the donor engine is of the same year as the recipient. The Cummins would be nice. Just not sure how tight the fit would be and what auto trans would work best. I too have done the Cummins swap into a 1986 Chevy K30 and like it. I actually have another one on the shop floor waiting for installation time. Debating whether to use a new NV5600 I have or NV4500. I also have a 1982 Chevy K30 with a 6.2 like the one in your Suburban and love it! I am trying to get my wife into a family vehicle that is both something she likes and a diesel- tough job!

Quote Originally Posted by DDiesel View Post
    Thanks for the input, EDAHALL. I've heard that the electronics arent too bad if the donor engine is of the same year as the recipient. The Cummins would be nice. Just not sure how tight the fit would be and what auto trans would work best. I too have done the Cummins swap into a 1986 Chevy K30 and like it. I actually have another one on the shop floor waiting for installation time. Debating whether to use a new NV5600 I have or NV4500. I also have a 1982 Chevy K30 with a 6.2 like the one in your Suburban and love it! I am trying to get my wife into a family vehicle that is both something she likes and a diesel- tough job!
    The Duramax Tahoe swap would be extremely cool and probably be most appropriate for a family vehicle but I would think you would for sure want the whole Duramax donor vehicle vehicle for the swap. A body lift like what was used on Duramax optioned trucks would probably be needed to fit an Allison under there. The other option would be to use a 4L80E and the electronics from a Duramax optioned van. You just won't be able to use all the power that the Duramax can provide.

The Cummins is TALL and narrow but can fit in the newer IFS Chevy trucks if done correctly without any suspension or body lift. The tight area is the front differential and the front of the vehicle where the hood curves down. You'll probably have to use an electric fan if no body lift is used. No automatic works that good behind the Cummins but if an automatic must be used, just stay with the Chrysler transmission. They can be beefed up to be more reliable however. Also, you'll want a Tahoe that has 3.42 axles on it or you'll be looking for another gear. And the most appropriate Cummins for the swap would probably be the 1st generation VE pump Cummins. They make a lot less noise than the P Pump or 24 valve Cummins and you won't have to mess with electronics.

I much prefer the NV5600 transmission behind the Cummins. The close gear spacing makes a world of difference in my opinion. Also, it can fit under there without a body lift but it'll be very tight. What year truck are you installing the NV5600 or NV4500?

Yes, I do like the 6.2L in my 1982 Suburban. However, the Suburban is rusting out so I've got a 1999 Tahoe with a bad engine that is waiting for that engine. I just have to find a serpentine belt setup first.

I plan on putting it in a 1988 Classic Body Chevy 4x4 Crew Cab. Unless I can find one like it thats rust free. Having waited so long to do it makes me wonder if I should just sell it all and get a duramax. But dreamin's cheap, right?