Thread: Turbo Blanket????

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Question

Howdy
    Has anyone used a turbo blanket or heat-barrier? I have a friend that has a turbo car and he said that he got power/boost increase by insulating the pump? Just wondering if anybody has done this.
    Thanks
    L8r
    Conley Janssen

doncannon Guest

Wink

dvldog,
    I bought one, but have not got it put on yet. I broke off a exhaust stud and need to get it finished. I will do it in the near future and let you know. They (the blanket) are suppose to reduce turbo lag from what I have read. What is the barrier?
    Don

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    Thanks for the info. I might be doing it this week. A heat barrier is just another phrase for the same thing as a blanket. If it does work like they say then I would think it is money well spent. anyway to keep the exhaust working and not heating up the engine bay is good!
    Let me know what you find when you get it on.
    L8r
    Conley Janssen
    USMC 87-93

eracers999 Guest

Where do you get the turbo blanket at?? I have no dought it would help out with under hood temps and getting the heat out and into the exhaust.
    Kent

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Howdy
    I saw the turbo blanket in JEGS, a race/gasser catalog. Before you run out and buy one check my post of the same name on the 6.5TD forum, some good info/oppinions there.
    Thanks for the input!
    L8r
    Conley Janssen

J C Whitney also sells a turbo cover or an entire kit for like $89 or $99 - I haven't gotten around to installing the entire thing but did insulate the down tube of the turbo's exhaust and was impressed with the thickness of the fiberglass and you're supposed to wet it with water first because it has some goop in it to help it form (like a cast).
    '84 3/4 Ton 4X4 Cheby Subdivision 6.2L ATS Turbo w/ 3" exhaust - NO STINKIN MUFFLER!Dr. Lee\'s battery connector Modifications, Auxillary Electric Fuel Pump,Auxillary Glow Plug overide switch