Thread: 6.5L Fuel Shutoff Solonoid test?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 6.5L Fuel Shutoff Solonoid test?

Hello, I know this has been posted countless times, but here goes again. How do I test the Fuel shutoff solonoid. My 6.5L will not start. I have replaced the PMD, oil pressure switch. I jumped the the supply pump, getting fuel to the t-valve. opened two injectors and cranked engine, no fuel out of injectors. I disconnected the fuel solonoid and applied 12v, did not hear anything. I then disconnected it from the pump and reconnected the original wire. I then turned the key to the on pos. the solonoid retracted/closed, thats it. when I turned key off the solonoid releases. is this normal? What is the proper way to test this device?

If it moved when key on run then I'd guess its ok but I 've never had one off. Its a normally shut valve - spring closed power to open.

But then the fuel shutoff solenoid is more a safety device for the DS pumps the fuel metering solenoid will actually cut fuel off to shut down engine. Thats why a truck with a bad PMD won't start. Have you verified fuel is not coming out of IP to suspect fuel shut off solenoid?
    Does the engine sound like its combusting anything? Does it puff any smoke while cranking over? How fast is it spinning over?

Fill out signature with description of truck and start over with how the problem arose and particulars of history regarding not cranking up.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

Im having the same problem at the moment, i replaced the FSS with a spare, and it still had the same symtoms, if you unscrew the FSS, and jump 12v to the lift pump, you should get fuel spurt out of the FSS on top of the injection pump, if then you crack injectors, and crank the motor and dont get fuel, id suspect the pump, if you have elminated the PMD, as
    the PMD shows the same symptoms, with a no start cranking and no fire...