Thread: Oil high

Default Oil high

95 6.5 td haven't run it in about 3 weeks I bought it 8 weeks ago with a bad head gasket we replaced it and checked the heads and everything out they're fine. Went to start it last night checked the dip stick and it looked normal it wasn't milky or anything but it was way above the max line. Last time I put oil in it was the right amount this also happens on my 01 Silverado just don't know what it could be

Coolant tank is LOW ???

Get a drain pan under it and pop the oil pan plug
    Likely a bunch of coolant in the pan.

DO NOT START IT

If you start it the antifreeze/coolant/water will mix through everything and foul the lifters and the cooler with a mess that's hard to clean out.

When you had the head/s off, which cyl was leaking???

Usually it will be a front one that blows out.

If the deck is badly etched they may not seal.

Number 8 cyl (RH REAR CYL) CAN DEVELOP a crack near the top of the cylinder at the rear (About 3/4 inch from the deck down the hole)

Also have seen these engines crack the main webs up into the lower part of a cylinder til it reaches the water jacket.

This was more common on early oil spray blocks ???

Question

When you did the gaskets, did you replace the head bolts ??

At this point the engine needs to come out and apart to get a definitive answer as to where the coolant leak is.

The is a slight possibility that the back plate on the water pump could have a hole in it allowing coolant to leak into the timing cover area.

Check the water pump back plate, if plate ok then yank the engine.

A number 8 cyl leak (crack) will show an etched area on the cyl wall.

A crack in the bottom of a cyl will (unfortunately) require ripping the engine completely apart, get the rods and pistons out and the crank so you can see in there good.

Caution

The rods/caps are not numbered, so stamp them at the part line when you remove them.

Numbers are same as any GM V8

1 3 5 7 on the left from the front to back and 2 4 6 8 on the right

Good luck

Keep us in the loop

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I went to check it again this morning and I saw this. Also exhaust comes out of the dipstick sometimes so I don't know if that's an issue. My coolant level is still high and hasn't moved
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Chunky oil

What in gods name could be causing this..... just redid the head gasket like 8 weeks ago iv hardly driven it since because something breaks every week. Literally. Anyway Now there is like a gray mucus on my dip stick but only if I really look at it but the oil is still black besides this gray spot and foam was coming out at the very top. Is it possible it's the crap from the last time the head gasket blew or is there something once again wrong with this pile of sh** it's 95 6.5

Sounds like you've either still got water in the oil from the last time OR you've got another coolant leak. Have you run the engine for a good long heat cycle since changing the HG's, in an effort to boil off any remaining coolant? Have you changed the oil since doing so?

Cheap place to start is by running the engine for 30 miles then changing the oil then seeing what shows up. Pay attention to your temp guage while running.

If the oil level is high then I would wait until it has sat for awhile and crack the drain plug slowly until you get some drips....most likely it will be antifreeze.
    Does this truck have orange extended run antifreeze? I had a 6.5 crack the block and I was running the orange stuff. My oil level did not go up noticeably but the antifreeze kept going down. The orange antifreeze was mixing with the oil enough and formed a black/grey goop that clung to the inside of the block. It was a MESS! but the oil draining out was normalish looking.
    Will the coolant system hold a pressure test?
    I would expect you have a leak some place due to the head gasket just being changed.
    Did you use new bolts? What type of gaskets did you use?
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Was the oil changed after the head change? Maybe a bunch of coolant went into the oil when the head (s) were pulled and that's why the level increased. From what I have seen it takes a LOT of coolant in the oil on a diesel to make a milkshake in the oil . THe slow leak I have had never made the oil look bad, just turned up in oil analysis. I always use green antifreeze too. That orange stuff seems to scale up a lot.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

Glycol eats engine bearings, nasty stuff when mixed with the oil.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Take a read through my thread about a similar issue: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=43784

I would at least get your oil tested ASAP. It will help to narrow down the possibilities.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by DennisG01 View Post
    Take a read through my thread about a similar issue: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=43784

I would at least get your oil tested ASAP. It will help to narrow down the possibilities.
    Definitely send in an oil sample. It's a good thing to do periodically.

Did you top off the engine shortly after it had been running?

When all the oil drains back in the pan and it has set a while the oil will be over full if you topped it off shortly after shut down.
    98 GMC Suburban 2500 6.5 4x4 260,000 mi, Fluidamper, remote PMD, FS2500
    96 GMC 6.5 Suburban 1500 4x4 320,000 mi; Fluidamper, remote PMD, Amsoil bypass, K47 air filter
    95 Tahoe 2 door 4x4 6.5 320,000 mi; Fluidamper, Amsoil bypass filter, remote PMD, K47 air filter
    1989 GMC Sierra 2500 2wd 5 spd get-rag trans 800,000 mi.
    95 Chevy 2500 xtra-cab 2wd 6.5 190,000 miles,
    1994 chev K3500, FS2500 bypass filter, remote PMD, K47 air filter 290,000 miles
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 160,000 mi. 10-21-2015
    91 international 4700 low pro, spicer 6 speed, DTA 360 with 18' van box 500,000 miles plus.